Is my beardie sick, in brumation, or dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyunS35

Okay so 2 nights ago, i got home from a friend's house around midnight, and i turned of my beardies day lights to put her to sleep. When i did this, she was in a bit of an awkward position, kind of curled to one side, but i didn't really think anything of it because usually she would move if she was uncomfortable. Yesterday morning, i turned on her lights around 9:30a.m. to wake her up, and she was in the same position, but she was beginning to open her eyes, as if she were awakening. i went into my room around 2 in the afternoon to get her out and hold her and let her walk around, but by this time, she was still in the same position, but with her eyes closed and she was limp. i took her out and put her in the sunlight through the window, and she opened her eyes, but was still pretty weak, and she wasn't moving anything except her upper torso and neck. I put her back under her light, and we left to help out a friend, and when i came back, she was limp and had closed her eyes again. It took longer to wake her up this time. When it came around to yesterday evening, she kept going in and out of consciousness, switching from "asleep'' to ''awake.'' Her breathing was very inconsistent. Sometimes, i could clearly see her sides moving in and out, but then it would stop, and then star again. I tried putting her in some shallow water to see if that would trigger a response, but there was nothing besides a few random breaths. I kept her directly under a heat lamp last night to keep her warm. I got up this morning, and she was still limp, but now she is breathing is a bit more more consistent. She has failed to open her eyes or move any part of her body in the past 2 hours. She has remained her normal color for the past two days, so i didn't think she was super sick, but i could be completely wrong.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't sound right. Do you have an experienced reptile vet nearby? I'd bring her in for a checkup if you do.

Can you post photos of her? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

If you can provide details about your lighting and temperatures that would be helpful too. Which UVB light are you using? How far is it from her basking spot? Photos of her setup would also be helpful to see if something stands out as a possible problem there.

RyunS35

Original Poster
I am taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. I don't really have the means to take pictures at the moment, but she has a 60 watt UVB bulb about 10 inches above her basking spot, and on the other side, i have just a regular coil energy saver light for UVA.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I suspect the lighting is the problem. What is the brand of your UVB light? You want a nice bright light to produce surface temps between 100-110 for basking. Using a reptile specific basking bulb or a halogen flood light works well for this in most cases. For UVB it's important to use a UVB specific light that is appropriate strength and set at an appropriate distance for exposure that is similar to natural sunlight. This combination of heat and UVB imitates natural sunlight and is critical to their wellbeing.

RyunS35

Original Poster
She has now gone completely unresponsive besides small breaths every once in a while. She defecated herself around an hour ago, and her beard has darkened. The only thing i can do is pray she will make it until we visit the vet tomorrow. And even if she stops showing that shes breathing, im gonna take her to the vet just to make sure she has passed because the thought of burying her alive would probably kill me... :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, I hate to hear that. It doesn't sound like she is doing very well. I hope you can get
her to the vet. It is always a good idea to wait at least a day or so, before ever burying them.
They don't always pass very quickly so you definitely wouldn't want to bury her alive.
Please let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom