HELP! Bearded dragon Swollen joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritch

I purchased my son a bearded dragon about a month ago. When he was purchased the store said his previous owner had neglected him. He has a proper setup with adequate uv lighting and is plenty warm enough. Recently he injured his back right leg causing swelling, and was taken to the vet. He was given an X-ray and was a pull type sprain...the vet said he was very low on calcium so he was given a calcium injection. About a week later his joints around his ankles on 3 of his legs have started to become swollen and inflamed, he is no longer moving about and will only eat food if it’s right in front of him. Is it gout or MBD? He is having his insects dusted with calcium every day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It could be a calcium issue since his previous care was not good. Gout is also a possibility, too.
What is his age, do you know?
Can you post a few pictures so we can try to determine a little more? Usually metabolic bone
disease doesn't cause as much swelling as gout does.
Which UVB are you using, a compact/coil or a long tube bulb?
What supplementation are you using for him?
A calcium shot shouldn't have caused any problems. That was the only thing given to him at
the vets correct?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom