Beardie getting Darker. Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beagle23

Yesterday my beardie started getting blacker Than normal around the night, I took this as nothing that important and took her out until she got lighter again ( though she was just stressed that I didn't took her out much that day ) At night I went to her to see what was doing and she was scratching the glass but when I turned off the red light for 2 mins she went to sleep. Today in the morning I woke up to find her on her basking spot ( Which is unusual as Im getting her adapted to a new rock for when I move her from a 20 gallon to a 40 gallon tank and she doesn't bask a lot as is too close to the roof of the tank and got her another basking spot though that night I accidentally put the basking light on the rock. When I came back in the afternoon she was still on the rock ( which I though was a little too hot for her ) She was also blacker than normal. I took her out and gave her a bath and she regained her normal colors. She pooped today and though I didn't see it my mom says it was of the normal huge size they normally do :p . She hasn't shedded since 4 months ago I think when she stopped having her "Baby sheds" when she shedded every 3 weeks. Thats the only thing I think she might have. She hasn't moved a lot today though when I take her out of the cage she doesn't have problems moving. I changed her diet last week to instead of giving her around 4 crickets per day I give her 10 every other day so I don't know if the change of diet might be a problem. I should add she was normal until yesterday night
96388-3975556977.jpg
This photo is her when she stoped basking for a moment today in the morning.
Can somebody tell me if she may have something ?

Beagle23

Original Poster
Update: She doesn't wants to eat crickets. I don't know what to do to make her feel better if she feels bad.
:(

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
I suspect the red night light is keeping her awake at night and stressing her out. If it's too cold at night for her to be without another heat source (if it drops below 65F), the best way to heat their tanks at night is with a ceramic heat emitter bulb. It produces no light and warms the tank. The first thing you should do is get rid of the red light or replace it with a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to eliminate that as a potential cause of stress. Also, I'd hold off on using the new basking rock until you have the 40 gallon if it brings her too close to the bulb. Don't want any accidental burns! It sounds like she is uncomfortable with her setup right now. They definitely need to be an appropriate distance away from their bulbs to be happy and healthy.

She looks big enough to appreciate the tank upgrade judging by the photo.

Can you describe your setup more?

What wattage is your basking light and what kind of bulb is it?

What UVB light are you using? Brand?

What are the temperatures inside the tank? Basking temperature?

What are you using to measure the temperature with?

What's her diet consist of? Veggies?

Do you have access to other sources of protein for her? Dubia roaches by chance? Crickets can often times have high parasitic loads that infect our beardies guts and cause issues.

Has she had a fecal test done recently? If not, it would be a good idea to get one done to eliminate any possible parasite issues.

Would love to see more pictures of her, she looks very pretty! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom