Possible Egg Impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlxLopez913

Hello. I need some advice on my Bearded Dragon. Charmander is about 1 and 1/2 yrs old. I recently took her to the vet and was told that she has a small mass on the right side of her body. We were told to give her electrolytes every hour for three days and bring her back for X-rays. The vet stated that he cannot confirm whether it has an egg (which he believes is more likely) or just a fecal mass that is stuck and wants to do surgery. I’m concerned because she was newly diagnosed with gout and I am a little weary about having her go through a surgery. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what I should do.

A little bit more info: She has stopped eating any food when she used to love to chase crickets or eat mealworms. Also, we took her to the vet b/c she started trying to poop very often w/o even eating food. She kind of pushes hard and wiggles her little butt; however either nothing comes out or she just poops liquid or watery white substance. She does drink a lot of water in the morning but that is it the whole day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would definitely hold off on surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. I would wait to see
what the x-rays reveal, first.
Charmander has gout also? Is she on allopurinol also?
Has she ever laid infertile eggs? Hopefully she just has eggs & is in late stage & will be able
to lay them. The x-rays should confirm eggs, hopefully, if they have been shelled.
Is her beard black or not?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

AlxLopez913

Original Poster
The vet did an XRay at his office that showed she has a dense mass but he can’t confirm whether it is an egg or not and that is when he told us he recommended to have surgery to remove the mass.

She is on Allopurinal for her gout and we were told we caught it on an early stage she has a few bumps on some toes and fingers but not major swelling anywhere else. She’s a sassy girl and is really active.

The only issue we are having now it that she will poop a little bit of a white watery substance (but that can also be due to the fact that she does not want to eat but does drink a lot of water in the morning plus the electrolytes every hour) and she just really struggles and wiggles her butt a lot and throughout the day she will try to poop almost every hour, or every 2-3 hours.

She has never laid eggs before (fertile or
Infertile), we have another beardie, but we were told that it was a girl as well, so we don’t think her egg would be fertile, if she has one. Her beard can get black, but she doesn’t really get upset enough where it gets black. We give her electrolytes every hour and even though she doesn’t like it and struggles, she doesn’t get mad enough to puff out her beard.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today? Did he give any lactulose to try & see if that would help to clear out
the material or impaction? If she has fully shelled eggs, you can definitely see them on an
x-ray so she must not have any eggs.
Can you think of anything that could have impacted her?
Females lay infertile eggs even if there are not any males around. Has her beard turned black
or does she seem to be in distress right now?
I'm glad you caught the gout in early stages, it should be very treatable & manageable for her
at that point then.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

AnimalMomma

Hi there! I don't have any advice regarding the main issue, i am a new beardie Momma & am still learning myself. There is 1 thing you mentioned about your baby that i DO knw about, mine actually did the same exact thing. Regarding her refusal 2 eat the crickets she once loved, mine was the same exact way! Chased them all OVER her cage! One day, she just stopped! No matter how hungry she is, she will not by any means eat even just 1! Bearded Dragons are not like typical animals, they are just like us when it comes 2 eating. They are not happy eating the same thing every day, You HAVE 2 switch it up or they wont eat. As a newbie, before learning this info, the live feeders i gave her was only crickets bcuz she LOVED them, Then suddenly stopped! After a few days of not eating, i got super scared she was sick. When i learned this info, i decided 2 at least try another food b4 spending hundreds on vet visits & im glad i did! I gave her a cpl superworms & she SMASHED like she was starving! They are very stubborn, she was OBVIOUSLY very hungry but was sick of crickets & refused 2 touch them! That was quite a few months ago & shes been eating fine ever since BUT she still wont touch a cricket!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
AnimalMomma, his thread is 4 months old. I do wonder how things went for Charmander though. Any update ? It sounds like she maybe could have tried natural laxatives first like baby food squash or sweet potato, canned pumpkin and olive oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom