Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is constipated. He refuses to eat the baby food now that there is clinical care in it. I've been giving him warm baths to try and help encourage him to poop but he still hasn't. I just today started baby apple sauce and mineral oil. Roughly about how long does it take to kick in?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB, the temperatures in
the tank, substrate used & supplementation given? Do you have any pictures you could post
so we can see him & the tank setup?
Instead of using mineral oil, try using either coconut or olive oil. They are easier on his tummy
than mineral oil since it is petroleum based.
You can also add some canned unspiced pumpkin with the apple sauce, too.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Amandal143

Original Poster
His tank is smaller (20 gallons) but I'm working on making him a bigger one but the vet said its fine because he isn't in it other than to sleep. It has a log, green reptile carpet and right now his bowl of Pedialyte water which I was told to leave in there he also has a ubv light that was bought 2 months ago and a basking light that was changed out for a new one 2 days ago. His hot side is a steady between 95-98 and cold side is 80. He is outside a lot, warm baths all the time. The vet has him on antibiotics and clinical care at the moment and he has reptile calcium and reptile multivitimans. I just got the multivitamin so he hasn't used that yet. He spends most of his time out because of the tank size but he is in a controlled area so he doesnt get into anything or eat something he isn't supposed too.

My beardie is also out of her viv a lot as she is extremely active and hates being in there, even though hers is the correct size. Just curious, do you have a basking lamp or anything for him outside of the viv. If he's eating and not getting warm enough that could be adding to the issue. My Izzy has a separate basking area outside the viv so she can always get access to heat and UVB no matter where she is.

Amandal143

Original Poster
I do not but when he is out we are usually outside. I work 2pm-10pm so he is in there during that time for the time being my boyfriend is on a business trip, but he usually has both the cat and Peter outside. He loves laying in the grass or just being outside in general. So he is getting light out of his cage just not from a lamp.

http://tinypic.com/1r55l8c2

Amandal143

Original Poster
At said it was too much fruit I am a first time owner and i wasnt aware that they couldn't have fruit as much as veggies I was giving him 2 sides of veggies and 2 sides a fruit for his daily feeding. He does eat his veggies but he loves watermelon and grapes too so I was cutting up some collard greens, sugar nap peas and his grapes and watermelons for him and he loved it he also loves crickets and superworms.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How old is your dragon and how log since he's poo'd ? Lots of adult dragons have long periods without pooing with no ill effects. And what is he on antibiotics for ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I don't think fruit would cause impaction issues but would cause looser stools. Have you fed
any mealworms? They can cause impaction problems especially if fed in excess.
I agree, adults don't usually go to the bathroom real often but they are all different.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Amandal143

Original Poster
No meal worms read they can't digest them properly. He has superworms but he only gets 2 every couple of days mainly just fruit and veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom