Bearded Dragon Stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really stumped and need advice

My girlfriend has a 5 year old male Bearded Dragon. Suddenly about 3 or so months ago, he started exhibiting open mouth breathing, and thing went downhill from there. He became unable to eat or drink on his own.

We took him to a vet who gave him antibiotics, which did nothing. We took him back to the vet who did a mouth swab and gave him a stronger antibiotic, which still did nothing. When the results came back, they said he had cryptococcus and gave him an antibiotic to treat that. He still did not get better. We took him back and the vet wanted to do a blood test but couldnt get any blood and just suggested more antibiotics, not even considering that based on his condition that this was not a viral problem

Right now, he is still not eating and drinking on his own, he js not moving on his own, and it looks like he is maybe even paraylzed. When I touch him, his one side seems stiffer than the other. His left leg seems stuck in one position. And he goes a long time before he has a bowel movement. When in his cage, instead of laying flat, his body is like it wants to curl into a complete circle

My theory is this is a neurological issue, possibly stroke and it led to have having paralysis due to that. Is that a possibility, d if so, will he be able to recover?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So sorry that he's in such condition. :( It very well could be a stroke or some other serious neurological problem A long course of antibiotics could have added to the problem since they wipe out a lot of good gut flora.

Do you have pics of him ? Or a video of him walking ? At this point you can probably just treat the symptoms but there may not be much you can do. Does he eat with your assistance, like with a syringe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom