New beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a new beardie owner and I noticed that Luna, my dragon, has saggy skin. He eats ok, eyes aren’t bulging, interacts ok with us in his cage, loves dandelion greens and crickets. Basking temps are between 80-100. His red light went out so I’ve kept his heat lamp on during the night. Seems to live ok, just worried about his skin.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. The red light is garbage. No heat at night unless your house gets below 65. If it does then a ceramic heat emitter is need as it gives off heat and no light. Beardies like it dark and cool at night.

MeganLeigh

Original Poster
destiny1998":3gjku2q6 said:
Hi. The red light is garbage. No heat at night unless your house gets below 65. If it does then a ceramic heat emitter is need as it gives off heat and no light. Beardies like it dark and cool at night.

I will do that, although I’ve noticed he’s getting thinner. I’m going to have to schedule a vet appointment for him, I’m hoping he’s not sick ?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
What kind of lights do you use? Ugh is it coil/,compact or long tube? Brand? How do you take the temps? Can you post pictures?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If he is losing weight then he may have worms or parasites. I would try to get a fecal exam
if you are going to take him into the vet.
Please review your tank setup with us also, such as your supplementation, temperatures,
foods offered, the type & brand of UVB light & substrate used so we can be sure it is all
correct for him.
Has Luna had a black beard at all lately?
Saggy skin in excess can be an indicator of dehydration. You can try to get some oral fluids
into him using a plastic dropper or syringe & drip it onto his nose.

Tracie

MeganLeigh

Original Poster
Drache613":2pdwgphr said:
Hello,

If he is losing weight then he may have worms or parasites. I would try to get a fecal exam
if you are going to take him into the vet.
Please review your tank setup with us also, such as your supplementation, temperatures,
foods offered, the type & brand of UVB light & substrate used so we can be sure it is all
correct for him.
Has Luna had a black beard at all lately?
Saggy skin in excess can be an indicator of dehydration. You can try to get some oral fluids
into him using a plastic dropper or syringe & drip it onto his nose.

Tracie

He has had a black beard yes. I was concerned as it freaked me out. It’s happened twice but hasn’t happened since, within the past couple of days. I noticed it happened when I put crickets in his cage that his beard turned black. I did research and it seemed like it was a “normal” thing, but now I’m not so sure as he has been losing weight. His cage is usually between 95-100. He has his heat lamp on while I’m at work. I’ve been leaving it on at night and was told not to as they like cool and darkness to sleep in. His cage was a “all in one cage” that I bought at the pet store, it came with everything, the heat lamp, UV light, cage and sand which I dumped the sand and got carpet. His UV light is on the right side of his cage and the heat lamp is on the left. Both lamps sit on top of the wire mesh cage lid. His fecal movements look normal. He has a movement at least 2 times a day, sometimes 3. He won’t drink water unless I give him a bath. He’s picky about veggies. The only thing I’ve gotten him to eat are dandelion greens. I’ll have to try other greens too. He eats crickets 2x a day, morning and evening. He will eat up to 200 crickets a week.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
UVB and heat need to be on the same side of the cage, so he doesn't have to choose.

If you bought an all in one kit at the pet store, the UVB you have is likely at least part of the issue. The ones they come with are garbage. The best thing to do is going to be to get a long tube style bulb, preferably a t5 bulb that covers 1/2 to 2/3 of the length of the cage. If you pet store is anything like mine you will likely have to order it. I use reptisun 10.0, but other on her use arcadia 12% with good success. You will also need a high quality fixture with reflector. If you want to sit it on top of the screen, you best bet is probably a zoomed reptisun hood. His basking spot will need to be within about 10 inches of the light if is on top of the screen.

Another issue might be temps. How are you measuring them? The dial type gauges that come in those kits are also garbage. They can be off by as much as 20 degrees. 90-100 is a big range. I would get a digital thermometer with a probe to measure air temps, and a temp gun to measure basking spot temps. For a little guy, basking spot needs to be about 100.

Improper lighting and temps can cause them to be lethargic and not interested in food. It can also lead to metabolic bone disease. It's critical to get it right for a growing baby.

MeganLeigh

Original Poster
lizardmom25":wwnkam9g said:
UVB and heat need to be on the same side of the cage, so he doesn't have to choose.

If you bought an all in one kit at the pet store, the UVB you have is likely at least part of the issue. The ones they come with are garbage. The best thing to do is going to be to get a long tube style bulb, preferably a t5 bulb that covers 1/2 to 2/3 of the length of the cage. If you pet store is anything like mine you will likely have to order it. I use reptisun 10.0, but other on her use arcadia 12% with good success. You will also need a high quality fixture with reflector. If you want to sit it on top of the screen, you best bet is probably a zoomed reptisun hood. His basking spot will need to be within about 10 inches of the light if is on top of the screen.

Another issue might be temps. How are you measuring them? The dial type gauges that come in those kits are also garbage. They can be off by as much as 20 degrees. 90-100 is a big range. I would get a digital thermometer with a probe to measure air temps, and a temp gun to measure basking spot temps. For a little guy, basking spot needs to be about 100.

Improper lighting and temps can cause them to be lethargic and not interested in food. It can also lead to metabolic bone disease. It's critical to get it right for a growing baby.

I just ordered a temp gun from amazon. I will have to go to my pet store about the UV light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom