Help Bearded Juvenile ate plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachelj22

My daughter went to feed her bearded dragon a green horn worm as a treat and it came wrapped up in plastic she went to put the worm in her bearded dragons cage and he managed to bite off a piece of the plastic. He has been eating until tonight but hasn’t pooped in a couple days now. I’m worried that he can’t pass it and we do not have a reptile vet around here. What do I need to do?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This happens fairly often & usually they are able to pass small things through. How big of a piece
of plastic was it & how large is the dragon?
You can treat for impaction by giving unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin along with a few
drops of either coconut oil or olive oil, twice daily. That can help move things along.
Has he had a black beard at all?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Rachelj22

Original Poster
No he hasn’t had a black beard. He’s 11 months old and a pretty big guy. It was about the size of a nickel the best I could tell from the piece off of the other plastic. The plastic was red and not solid it was x patterned. He’s moving fine and has been eating till last night he swallowed it almost a week ago I tried baths and rubbing him but he hasn’t pooped since then.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Beardies really do swallow things like this very often and they always come out. Was this plastic wrap or plastic like from a cup ? Just give it time and it will pass through.....one week is not a long time, sometimes 2-3 weeks or more and then the object appears but I think it will come out before that long.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keep an eye on him and yucky as it sounds , intimately examine his poos over the next two weeks , if it doesn't show up he either didn't eat it, or it's been digested (some plastics are biodegradeable) or it's still in there somewhere and a vet may need to image his GIT to find out where it is and if it's a problem.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing, any progress?
Be sure to keep him hydrated to help things move through. Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom