Tail turning grey !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just got my baby bearded dragon and her tail is black at the end and is bent a little, is this somthing I should be concerned about?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not necessarily. Their tails tend to be darker toward the end. The bend could be from a nip from a tank mate or a birth defect of some kind but is common. Can you post photos of the tail? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Modesttwist

Original Poster
about the black end taikl, it was kinda bent and all black at the end, really hard, and today the tip fell off when i was picking her up, its still got a little bend with some black, but she doesnt look like shes in pain or anything.

Modesttwist

Original Poster
So i got this baby BD about a 3 days ago, when i got her i noticed that her tail was black / bent at the end and was really hard, today when i picked her up the end of it fell off, than a few hours later it stared bleeding where the black started, so i soaked her tail and it stopped, than when i get back home from going to the store i notice that her tail started to turn grey / white, im kinda worried at this point what do i do ?
99622-4529053425.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look pretty torn up. The tail was like this when you purchased her?
It looks pretty damaged & could be getting infected, too. I would start treating it with a
diluted betadine solution daily, then putting some raw unpasteurized honey on it to help
with infection. The gray color could be necrosis meaning that portion of the tail is dying.
It would probably be a good idea to take her to the vet if it doesn't clear up & the tip of it
doesn't fall off with a clean tip. The infection can travel up the tail & become a systemic
infection & make your dragon ill.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Modesttwist

Original Poster
Drache613":1vpo36tx said:
Hello,

That does look pretty torn up. The tail was like this when you purchased her?
It looks pretty damaged & could be getting infected, too. I would start treating it with a
diluted betadine solution daily, then putting some raw unpasteurized honey on it to help
with infection. The gray color could be necrosis meaning that portion of the tail is dying.
It would probably be a good idea to take her to the vet if it doesn't clear up & the tip of it
doesn't fall off with a clean tip. The infection can travel up the tail & become a systemic
infection & make your dragon ill.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

I got her from petsmart a few days ago, would u recommend try treating it for a week and see if it improves, and if not should i bring her back, or should i just bring her back now :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can try treating it for a week or so to see if it gets better. Watch the discoloration
carefully to be sure it doesn't travel up the tail. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Modesttwist

Original Poster
Drache613":3lmubksf said:
Hello,

You can try treating it for a week or so to see if it gets better. Watch the discoloration
carefully to be sure it doesn't travel up the tail. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Her tail is kinda turning grey, but when I feel it it doesn’t feel soft in any way but she kinda jerks a little when I feel it and she just started to bask with her mouth open, and don’t see her sides moving for breathing idk what’s goin on

Modesttwist

Original Poster
Drache613":213ayemt said:
Hello,

Tracie
She’s starting to bask while laying down, and her tail is turning grey and looks like it’s kinda all the way up her spine( grey/white) I’ll upload a picture when I get home later I’m rly worried

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since you just got her from Petsmart you might want to contact them to discuss vet treatment options. Best to get these issues treated early and they might help with costs via warranty depending on the terms of your purchase.

Modesttwist":2a2lh5i3 said:
99622-4529053425.jpg
this is what it looks llike, but now it started to turn grey / white
Hello! I’m a bit late to the conversation, but this looks like it might be tail rot. If treatment doesn’t work, the tail will eventually either need to be amputated or it will fall off. With proper treatment, the beardie will still live a long life! (I think treatment will work, this is the worst way of looking at it)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is the entire tail looking gray or just the damaged end? If it isn't looking any better, a vet visit
would be a good idea. You don't want infection traveling up the tail to make him ill.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom