Mushu’s MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy123

So I’m sure you all remember my recent thread about Mushu, I posted a new reply in that thread but no one is responding (probably because it is older), so I’m making a new one.
This morning I was trying to give Mushu a drink of water on his nose, but when I dripped it on him, he started flailing around on his back legs while grabbing at the air with his mouth. He kept his eyes closed the whole time and he sucked in his stomach so he looked really skinny, after a few moments he stopped, but he scared me so much, I’ve been so worried since then (this was around 8:00 this morning) He has his new bulb, and I’ve been giving him liquid calcium each day, he still hasn’t been eating, despite me trying and trying each day... what he did today really seemed worse and scared me so much! Is he getting worse?? ??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is he doing better with his metabolic bone disease now?
Could he have had water go down the wrong way or did he not have any water at all?
That seems a bit strange for him to have acted that way. Did something scare him?
How has his appetite been doing, I hope he is feeling better.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Sassy123

Original Poster
I don't think he's doing any better with his MBD, today when I was trying to help him get some food and/or water, he was walking around, but he was flopping and waddling like he almost couldn't walk. I had to put him back under his UVB bulb to bask :cry: , I have hornworms (egg form so that they are small enough) coming for him so he might hopefully eat those... but they aren't supposed to get here till Thursday, I will keep trying with the baby food, but I haven't been having much luck with it. He takes his liquid calcium no problem, and he usually drinks water, but today and yesterday he has been flipping out when I try to give it to him. He's still breathing fine, no whistling sounds to indicate he's breathing in the water, so I don't think its that... I can't imagine what could've scared him the other day, it was just me giving him water, no weird sounds or things in my room... He's having such a hard time moving around now, I'm really getting scared for him now, I don't know if I should take him to a vet yet... There is a reptile vet about an hour away from us, my mom is definitely willing to do anything it takes to help, but I don't know if I should drop everything to take him or give him more time?? He's also starting to lose weight... (Sorry for the super long message, I'm starting to freak out) :( :shock: :cry:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It might be a good idea to bring him to a good, experienced vet. They may not be able to do much or they may have some good ideas for treatment and care. I think the calcium supplement combined with the new T5 bulb should help about as much as you can at home. That may take time to start working so do keep it up. I'm glad to see you're working so hard to give him good care.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy, the flailing after you dripped water on him is a neurological problem, like a seizure . It may be calcium and or vitamin deficiency. If it's calcium related then it should get better with the t5 bulb as Cooper mentioned.

Another possibility is atadenovirus, if you haven't ad him tested you an check with Tracie about that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Mushu doing tonight?
I agree, something is going on & it is likely calcium related. That is too bad he reacted like
he did though, it's scary when they exhibit behavior like that.
The new T5 tube bulb should really help out a lot for him, too. I think a vet visit would be
a good idea to see if anything else could be going on with him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Sassy123

Original Poster
We are on our way to the vet, it is a reptile vet, and research center. Yesterday I gave him a bath, which he actually seemed to enjoy a bit. He also drank water and some more calcium. He had a tiny bit of baby food, and for bedtime, I wrapped him in a sock so he wouldn’t flop around (I’ve noticed him sort of falling off his feet almost at bedtime) and he slept in the sick all night. I will be asking a TON of questions at the vet...

Sassy123

Original Poster
So we went to the professional reptile vet, Mushu had a physical exam, x-rays done, and a blood test. He definitely has a pretty bad case of MBD, and the lump in his back is actually because his back is broken (because of his thin bones). They gave him an injection of calcium, vitamin A and D, and fluids because he is also dehydrated. So I have calcium injections to give him for 30 days, and I’m going to give him 20 minutes baths each day. The vet thinks he’ll recover, and he should hopefully start eating soon, since he’s getting the stronger calcium

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry to hear he has that bad of a case of metabolic bone disease. Which calcium had
you been using previously?
Which UVB light is he under?
Poor thing, having to get injections, that wont be any fun at all. I hope he is feeling better
soon. He should recover with stronger calcium & proper nutrition. Be sure to keep his
basking spot lower so that he doesn't have to climb at all, to get his heat & UVB since his
back is injured.
Please keep us updated on him.

Tracie

Sassy123

Original Poster
I’ve been using Repti-Calcium without D3, as well as another supplement with calcium and D3, but now he has the more powerful calcium from the vet. I will definitely post updates about him

Sassy123

Original Poster
Mushu's blood work came back, and the vet is pretty sure he either had or still has an infection (raised white blood cells), so now he needs antibiotics, going up there today to get them, unfortunately they are an injection that I'm going to have to do myself... not looking forward to that... :cry: :shock:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh, poor thing. Injections are not fun for either one of you. How is he doing today?
The Repcal calcium powder is good but a lot of times powder isn't absorbed very well so the
liquid calcium will help him a lot more.
I hope he makes a full recovery. Definitely let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom