ceftazidime for possible URI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonXtacy

Hey all!

My beardie Frankie has been showing signs of a URI. He has stringy Saliva when he opens his mouth, mostly on the sides, I can hear a popping noise when he's breathing, maybe every 8-10 seconds? If that. Not always, but most times he will keep his mouth open a little, especially when he is sleeping.. When he breathes, on his sides, it looks like when he's breathing in, he stops and then inhales a little more before exhaling. He also looks like he gulps/puffs his beard repeatedly about 3-4 times in a row quite a few times every day. Not like his normal morning beard stretches.

We took him to the vet, they took some blood, which we will get a call for tomorrow, but they didn't perform an X-Ray?

They prescribed us Ceftazidime, which we have used 3 times now, in the past 4 days, but I am worried now, because I was creeping the forums and noticed some people saying don't give antibiotics if there isn't an actual infection. Which is understandable! Now I'm quite concerned!

Should I stop giving it to him?

The one thing is, his appetite hasn't slowed down at all, he seems to be his usual self? (He doesn't move around a lot but also doesn't seem lethargic, but does like to explore when he's out of his terrarium or has his little bursts in the tank when he wants to get out haha..) Just minus all those concerns I put at the top!

Would the blood test indicate if he has an infection at least?

Thank you sooo much for your help my friends :).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ceftz is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. Since you have given him the meds, has it seemed
to affect his demeanor?
Usually we don't recommend giving medication unless it's warranted. A blood test would
normally indicate or show some type of infection. They should have done an x-ray to try &
rule out or confirm a respiratory infection.
The saliva, is it thick or off colored? Has your dragon coughed or wheezed?
He does seem to have a few symptoms, so, that is a hard call.
When do you expect the blood test results back?
For now, keep him a little warmer overnight, around 80 in his tank to help boost his immune
system in case he does have a slight respiratory infection.
How much more medication does he have to go now?

Tracie

NeonXtacy

Original Poster
Drache613":a9i6pq6e said:
Hello,

Ceftz is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. Since you have given him the meds, has it seemed
to affect his demeanor?
Usually we don't recommend giving medication unless it's warranted. A blood test would
normally indicate or show some type of infection. They should have done an x-ray to try &
rule out or confirm a respiratory infection.
The saliva, is it thick or off colored? Has your dragon coughed or wheezed?
He does seem to have a few symptoms, so, that is a hard call.
When do you expect the blood test results back?
For now, keep him a little warmer overnight, around 80 in his tank to help boost his immune
system in case he does have a slight respiratory infection.
How much more medication does he have to go now?

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Firstly, thank you so much for the reply!

I would say the Saliva is a little thick, not off colored though, pretty clear. They should be calling today to let me know the results of his blood test :).

We had to give him 3 days in a row of injections, now it is 3 times every 2 days we have to give him an injection, and then they said after that, do it every 3 days for a month. So roughly, we have about 10 injections to give him in a span of 30 days? You think that may be overkill?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, let us know how the blood tests turn out.
Well, as long as the dose is correct for him, that isn't too bad, for a month's duration time
frame. How is he doing today?
I would definitely look into nebulization though, to try & fully get rid of it. They are very
hard to clear up when they get them.

Tracie

NeonXtacy

Original Poster
Drache613":1058u31r said:
Hello,

Great, let us know how the blood tests turn out.
Well, as long as the dose is correct for him, that isn't too bad, for a month's duration time
frame. How is he doing today?
I would definitely look into nebulization though, to try & fully get rid of it. They are very
hard to clear up when they get them.

Tracie

Thank you so much Tracie, I will let you all know for sure :).

If one did want to get a nebulizer, how could I find all the information that would be suitable for a bearded dragon :)?

Also gave him his injection today, it's always so traumatizing... Poor guy hissed today :(. Never heard him hiss before! At least he forgets about it 15 minutes later, he will just start exploring the living room :).

Thank you again!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks, I will look for it.
The shots are never pleasant for you or your dragon. Ceftz stings some also which is likely why
he hissed because it did hurt.
Can you get a nebulizer from your vet? I can help with dosing, etc if you need & frequency, to
get your dragon all setup.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Cetazidime shots can be tough on both of you. I know how that goes. Just do your best to get under one of the scales with a swift motion and get the meds in. Alternating arms is helpful too. They hate it a lot but as you've seen they are usually good about forgiving and forgetting. I agree that if this doesn't work then a nebulizer might be a good option to try out. Certainly worth discussing with the vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely rotate the sites on the arm & go from right to left, as suggested. It helps to keep
scar tissue formation down & the tissue becoming necrotic.
Let us know how she is doing!

Tracie

NeonXtacy

Original Poster
Drache613":3izvn9al said:
Hello,

Definitely rotate the sites on the arm & go from right to left, as suggested. It helps to keep
scar tissue formation down & the tissue becoming necrotic.
Let us know how she is doing!

Tracie

Sorry it's been a while :). Thank you so much by the way!

Frankie seems okay, he still keeps his mouth open at times, but not as much as usual.

I can still hear the clicking sound, but it seems to be not as much. Before the cefta, he seemed to click more constantly.

He's still coughing it seems but I still got about 6 more doses to give him, every 3 days.

Hoping it will go away once the dosage is done :(. I figure it takes time to get rid of the infection.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news Frankie is doing a little better so at least he has shown some good
improvement then. How is his appetite doing?
Yes, it does take awhile for the infection to completely clear up. Is he still handling the
nebulization pretty well then I hope?
Definitely keep us posted on his progress. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Tracie

NeonXtacy

Original Poster
Drache613":3kmy7zkk said:
Hello,

That is good news Frankie is doing a little better so at least he has shown some good
improvement then. How is his appetite doing?
Yes, it does take awhile for the infection to completely clear up. Is he still handling the
nebulization pretty well then I hope?
Definitely keep us posted on his progress. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Tracie

Still giving him the injections at the moment. Once I go see the vet again, I will ask for a nebulizer if he hasn't cleared out the URI after all his injections are done :).

His appetite still seems to be fine. Strangely enough, he will not eat his BSFL. So I had to pick up crickets again and he seemed happy with that haha. Guess he's being picky :p.

Also, his blood test came back, he has a high glucose level, so the vet was letting us know of a potential neurological issue but said she wasn't concerned as young beardies can have high levels of glucose. I could be quoting her wrongly as it was a while ago. She just told us to let her know if he has lost his appetite and isn't eating anymore and acting lethargic.

Thank you Tracie :).

NeonXtacy

Original Poster
Hey all! We are almost near the end of his injections, he seems a little better but still does those quick beard puffs with clicking noises which looks like he's coughing.

Now, he's been acting super active, he glass surfs alot the past two days, he won't eat his crickets at all... But he will eat some greens, not as much as before either. I don't know if that's because of his anti biotics? He doesn't like to stay on my shoulder much either :(. His tail tends to get darker as well.

Weird thought, he is about 7-8 months. Could it be puberty? He's been super restless, I'll hear him running around and scratching the glass constantly.

NeonXtacy

Original Poster
Drache613":1fgwzua3 said:
Hello,

Thanks, I will look for it.
The shots are never pleasant for you or your dragon. Ceftz stings some also which is likely why
he hissed because it did hurt.
Can you get a nebulizer from your vet? I can help with dosing, etc if you need & frequency, to
get your dragon all setup.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Hey Tracie,

Would something like the Vic's personal steam inhaler work? As a nebulizer?

Also, what type of medicine should I ask from my vet :)?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom