my beardie died

Status
Not open for further replies.

petsrme123

I recently inherited 2 sister beardies fats and grissel which I had no idea about keeping so did my research and think I did everything right but grissel the smaller one has always been sluggish wouldn't eat her veg and fruit and only a few bugs {crickets and hoppers} she did an enormous wet pooh and a cage full of eggs (although eggs could have been both or either) I changed there bedding to calci sand as they have always been kept on beech chips and I came home yesterday and she was almost dead so got her out gave her a warm bath wraped her in a blanket and cuddled her till she died in my arms last night and I really hope I didnt cause this can anyone give me a possible reason this could have happened im worried for the fats now

So sorry to hear of your loss. I would change the calci sand as that can cause impaction and is not the best substrate, you are better of with tile or reptile carpet. Something that is not loose. However, saying that I don't believe that the change in substrate would have had an impact so quickly.

If she laid a large clutch of eggs it could have been that. Laying takes a huge amount out of them energy wise and depletes their calcium reserves so if she didn't have the correct care before coming to you it might have just been too much for her.

As far as fats is concerned maybe post what lighting, heat, diet etc she is having to see if there is anything else that needs tweaking.

petsrme123

Original Poster
thanks so much just found out also she was born 2008 and haven't had the best care previously so could be age but thanks for the advice on the substrate only just changed to calci sand as was told that was the best so will go get some tiles they have slate on heat pads

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
10 is actually a fairly old age for them. If she was laying a big clutch of eggs (or if one burst) then it could have been quite strenuous for her. I'm glad you were with her to give her comfort as she died.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear your girl passed so suddenly like that. :cry: At 10, that is a good age for a
dragon. As suggested, it may have been an egg issue that you weren't aware of & that happens
pretty frequently. It definitely isn't anything you did, since it was such a quick occurrence.
I hope your other one does well, is she the same age?
At least she wasn't alone though, she had you with her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom