Looking for a second opinion on if this is tail rot or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
Long time lurker first time poster. Please don't scorn me as I've already beaten myself up about this and my boyfriend can attest to this.? My baby beardy, Dex, got his tail pinched in his tank when I was moving his screen to modify it to make it one piece with his SUV tube light. The tail tip itself hadn't severed but he did have a small cut. I went straight to these forums and cleaned it and put a bit of polysporin on it. He went back to his own business and was fine. Later that night when I went to re apply some poly he jumped and basically broke it nearly clean off. A vet tec friend of mine walked me through what to do, (this was at nearly midnight by now w/ no bets open) and severed the tiny top that had broken, gave him a betadine soak and poly'ed him up again. This was two days ago. He is still eating as much as he normally does, regular bowel movements(all healthy poops) and is basically back to himself(I'm still upset about hurting him?). The wound itself is bright and clean but the skin around is a little dark. My friend and her husband(former beardy owner) are pretty sure no rot has set in but suggested I get a second opinion from you guys here. I'm sorry for writing so much, just wanted to make sure I had everything laid out.
98922-1864748788.jpg
98922-2049315176.jpg
98922-5529025062.jpg
98922-181829953.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keep a very close eye on it, I'd be soaking the tip in a 1/4 strength Betadiene solution (in a tubbler) for 15min per day, and then applying a drop of Activon Medihoney to it.

Make sure no crickets or roaches or locusts are left in his tank with him when there is honey on the tail as they will go for the sweet stuff. Could wrap it in tull dressing impregnated with medihoney and the apply a little bit gauss over this and hold it in place with some Hypafix tape (NOT STUCK TO THE SKIN !). This will help keep it clean and keep the insects away from it.

If the black area starts creeping up the tail ==> tail rot (an infection/ necrotic tissue) a vet will need to take surgical steps to save the rest of the tail and the dragon.

If it's kept clean and uninfected the stump will heal over the next few weeks - couple of months , will not regenerate though.

rhiburrito

Original Poster
Thank you! I'll be sure to pick up some of that medihoney. He's been having some good betadine soaks so I'll keep that up. I've been taking pictures of the tip daily to watch if it starts creeping, my friend said the same thing, if it gets any higher bring him in. Thank you again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom