Please help! Bearded Dragon Not Eating! Possibly Blind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted before but it seems it went too far down on the list to get any replies anymore.. For weeks now, I've been trying to feed my yearling dragon. I feed him butternut squash baby food most days and I still provide fresh veggies like collard greens and carrots, and his favorite fruits as well. I dust EVERYTHING with calcium and he always has plenty of water to drink.

He was never like this before, he used to have the biggest appetite of my beardies, even my larger ones!

I'm worried one of two things could be taking place.

Today, while I was feeding him, I figured I'd try to hold a cricket on tongs for him, just to see what he'd do. I've been doing this since he started becoming lethargic, but he doesn't really react. He didn't even glance at it, and kept walking around my room. I pried his mouth open gently and stuck the cricket in. Instantly, he began chewing and swallowed it. I did this for about 12 crickets, and every time he acted the same-- Like he was very hungry and that was what he wanted. But when I held it in front of him, he didn't react.
To follow up my new hypothesis, I shone my phone's flashlight a little ways away from his eyes. No shrinking of the pupils. A little closer, no shrinking. A little closer, no shrinking. They didn't change at all, could he be be going blind at a year old? His pupils are clear of cataracts, but he has no reaction to my finger being mere millimeters from his eye, and he doesn't react to bright light. If I move my finger slowly up and down, he doesn't follow it.

Also, I checked his mouth-- It is clear of rot or chipped teeth, or anything.

He has filled fat pads on his head and no signs of MBD.

I think he can hear me typing, so he's watching me. But I'm not sure if he can even see me.

Or, he could just have a parasite with no appetite.

Either way, I'm taking him to the vet ASAP, luckily we have one very near our home so it shouldn't be hard to take him.

Please give me your opinion, advice, etc. Anything will help! I just want to know what's wrong with my beardie, he's too young to be going through this!

CARE INFO:

-1 year old

-Reptisun 10.0 tube extending across the cage

-Heat bulb of about 75w

-Basking area of 105F , cool area of 82F.

-Eco Earth substrate

-2 large hides on either side of the enclosure

-Large water bowl that he can soak in if he chooses

-Food bowl for serving vegetables

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm sorry your post got missed somehow!
Do you have pictures of your dragon, along with his setup?
The lighting sounds good, how far from him does the Reptisun 10 tube bulb sit? Is it mounted
on top of or beneath of the screen? Is it mounted directly overhead & right beside the basking
light?
That is very odd, about him not reacting to light with his eyes. At one year of age, I wouldn't
think he would be losing his sight, that would be very sad. Does it seem like he can see you,
or are you not sure?
When are you taking him to the vets?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

clayandgizmo

Original Poster
Drache613":2ov92hju said:
Hello,

I'm sorry your post got missed somehow!
Do you have pictures of your dragon, along with his setup?
The lighting sounds good, how far from him does the Reptisun 10 tube bulb sit? Is it mounted
on top of or beneath of the screen? Is it mounted directly overhead & right beside the basking
light?
That is very odd, about him not reacting to light with his eyes. At one year of age, I wouldn't
think he would be losing his sight, that would be very sad. Does it seem like he can see you,
or are you not sure?
When are you taking him to the vets?

Tracie

Update: I spoke to my father and brought up his symptoms and condition. He’s gotten worse and worse since I posted this. His hip bones are protruding out of his skin and he LOOKS sickly. Even so, my dad just repeats that he’s probably going to die and that he’s not going to pay to go see a vet, upwards of 150 dollars. I’d pay myself if I had the money, but I’m only 15 and I dont have any source of income. I’m absolutely heartbroken that theres nothing I can do. I tried finding any antibiotics for his symptoms but nothing came up and I found nothing. He’s refusing to eat even his baby food and still refuses solid veggies. I have no idea what to do and I feel so helpless. I’ve loved this beardie so much over the year I’ve had him and he’s my everything, but I feel like he’s stopped fighting. I just don’t know what to do.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This is not fair to the dragon. You can take him into the vet & surrender him so that he can
get proper care. If he is that ill & on the brink of death, you have to have some compassion
because it is not right to let him suffer. It is cruel. If he was a dog or cat, would your dad
feel compelled to seek vet care? Reptiles are no different & deserve every chance of proper
medical care as a dog or a cat. I am sorry he has gotten this bad, but you can't simply just
let him lay there & die in good conscience.
Have you gotten some chicken or turkey baby food, along with some squash baby food or sweet
potato baby food to try & feed him. Use a plastic dropper or plastic syringe to drip food onto
his snout to see if he will lick some food off of it. If he wont take it, you can gently open his
mouth to get some food into him. Maybe you can get him to gain some weight that way.
You can try to find a reptile rescue in your area. Where are you located? I can try to find a
rescue in your area possibly. Legally though, if you take an animal into a vet & tell them you
can't pay, then you surrender it to their care & they will take care of it or find a rescue for him.

Tracie

clayandgizmo

Original Poster
Drache613":3inux2zb said:
Hello,

This is not fair to the dragon. You can take him into the vet & surrender him so that he can
get proper care. If he is that ill & on the brink of death, you have to have some compassion
because it is not right to let him suffer. It is cruel. If he was a dog or cat, would your dad
feel compelled to seek vet care? Reptiles are no different & deserve every chance of proper
medical care as a dog or a cat. I am sorry he has gotten this bad, but you can't simply just
let him lay there & die in good conscience.
Have you gotten some chicken or turkey baby food, along with some squash baby food or sweet
potato baby food to try & feed him. Use a plastic dropper or plastic syringe to drip food onto
his snout to see if he will lick some food off of it. If he wont take it, you can gently open his
mouth to get some food into him. Maybe you can get him to gain some weight that way.
You can try to find a reptile rescue in your area. Where are you located? I can try to find a
rescue in your area possibly. Legally though, if you take an animal into a vet & tell them you
can't pay, then you surrender it to their care & they will take care of it or find a rescue for him.

Tracie

I’ve been syringe feeding him and I’ve been giving him Reptaid since I’ve heard it can help with intenstinal viruses and bacteria. He’s gained some weight but his limbs and tail keep growing skinnier. He seems more upbeat and happy but I’m still worried. Im trying to get him to a vet for proper medicine and such, but I’ll keep things updates as much as I can.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope you are able to get him to a vet.
The Reptaid is good & will hopefully help him out so that he gets an appetite back.
I hope he is feeling better. Do you have any pictures of him & of the tank setup also?
Keep us updated on him.

Tracie

clayandgizmo

Original Poster
Drache613":296dp95q said:
Hello,

I hope you are able to get him to a vet.
The Reptaid is good & will hopefully help him out so that he gets an appetite back.
I hope he is feeling better. Do you have any pictures of him & of the tank setup also?
Keep us updated on him.

Tracie

He's started eating on his own a little bit with the help of the Reptaid, and with consistent feeding and syringe feeding, his fat pads have started replenishing and his limbs don't look so boney anymore. :) I'm so happy that things have started to look up. I can try uploading pictures of him and the tank, also.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So the reptaid has helped him out? How much weight has he gained?
Sure, you can upload some pictures of him & his tank setup so we can see his progress.
What foods is he eating right now?

Tracie

clayandgizmo

Original Poster
Drache613":2dd54crf said:
Hello,

So the reptaid has helped him out? How much weight has he gained?
Sure, you can upload some pictures of him & his tank setup so we can see his progress.
What foods is he eating right now?

Tracie

Hi!

very very late reply, i know. but this is the first time i’ve come back to this forum since my last post.

as for digit, he ended up passing away on june 10th.

he was horribly ill the last few days leading to his death, and it absolutely broke my heart knowing that no matter how hard i tried, he just wasnt getting better.
i found him in his tank, on his back. it looked like he had rolled off it, and my heart shattered.

his death really impacted me for months, because i felt guilty that i couldnt convince my parents to take him to the vet despite all my efforts.

thank you so much for all of your advice while he was ill :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH no, I am terribly sorry to hear that you lost your little boy, digit. :cry:
Losing one impacts you in ways that you can't even imagine. I hope that you are alright.
We are always here, if you need us.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom