Arthritis in beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
I took my rescue to the doctor last night because she hasn’t been using her back legs properly. We got x rays and the doctor said her bone density is great but the knees are rough and she is thinking arthritis. But she said she hasn’t seen arthritis in a beardie before especially in both knees. Has anyone had this problem before?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, that is too bad. The bone density does look good, based on the x-ray pictures.
Was blood work done, or not?
Which UVB are you using, is it a tube bulb or a compact/coil type? Are you supplementing
calcium regularly also?
There are quite a few cases with arthritis, but most of them are related to metabolic bone
disease.
You could try getting some serrapeptase which helps with pain, inflammation & swelling. It
is an all natural supplement with no side effects. Is there any swelling of any hands, feet or
limbs?

Tracie

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1ywky860 said:
Hello,

Poor girl, that is too bad. The bone density does look good, based on the x-ray pictures.
Was blood work done, or not?
Which UVB are you using, is it a tube bulb or a compact/coil type? Are you supplementing
calcium regularly also?
There are quite a few cases with arthritis, but most of them are related to metabolic bone
disease.
You could try getting some serrapeptase which helps with pain, inflammation & swelling. It
is an all natural supplement with no side effects. Is there any swelling of any hands, feet or
limbs?

Tracie
We did not do any blood work. She prescribed 5 doses of metacam 0.2mls every 24-48 hours just to see if it helps. She has a 10.0 reptisun that gets replaced every 6months a long tube that covers half the tank. She is my rescue and she did not have proper lightening and did not receive the proper calcium supplement for 4-6 months before I received her. The lightening she did receive had a plastic covering over the bulb for 4 years so I’m really surprised her bone density is so good.

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don’t want her to suffer. She is clearly struggling and barley eating her greens anymore. She lives on a small platform because she can not get up and down her steps. I put a ramp in for her but she has no interest. I don’t want her suffering but I don’t want to put her down and make it seem like I just don’t want to deal with the issue. ?. I’m really struggling with this. After 3 days of metacam nothing has changed. Her legs now twitch after she uses them I’m not sure if it’s because she is in pain or what

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Poor girl. At least she is in better hands now and applaud you for rescuing her.
For the dubia fix, you can get a dubia "no escape" dish. You can get these pretty much from any dubia supplier. That would be the best since she cannot run or move fast and they are contained in a cup. They are a lot better than any other feeders and super easy to take care of. You can also get BSFL they are rich in Calcium and they don't move fast either just wiggle around. So I would suggest putting them in a cup for her. Honestly, I would go with a Megaray bulb but its totally up to you. I have noticed a huge difference with my beardie basking under the mega ray than the reptisun and it's as close as the sun artificially. I hope she gets better soon <3

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Reptilelady":fa7ybsj2 said:
Poor girl. At least she is in better hands now and applaud you for rescuing her.
For the dubia fix, you can get a dubia "no escape" dish. You can get these pretty much from any dubia supplier. That would be the best since she cannot run or move fast and they are contained in a cup. They are a lot better than any other feeders and super easy to take care of. You can also get BSFL they are rich in Calcium and they don't move fast either just wiggle around. So I would suggest putting them in a cup for her. Honestly, I would go with a Megaray bulb but its totally up to you. I have noticed a huge difference with my beardie basking under the mega ray than the reptisun and it's as close as the sun artificially. I hope she gets better soon <3
I have decided to wait out 2-3 weeks to see if any of her pain medications show improvement along with long baths so she can move her legs with out as much pain. If I see some improvement then I will continue. But if she shows no improvement or gets worse I’m going to have her euthanized. She suffered for a long time before I got her and I don’t want her to suffer any more. It’s just not fair for her to continue to suffer

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Ashleymthornton1990":2epndd2m said:
Reptilelady":2epndd2m said:
I have decided to wait out 2-3 weeks to see if any of her pain medications show improvement along with long baths so she can move her legs with out as much pain. If I see some improvement then I will continue. But if she shows no improvement or gets worse I’m going to have her euthanized. She suffered for a long time before I got her and I don’t want her to suffer any more. It’s just not fair for her to continue to suffer

Awe, I hope she does better. I completely understand though, Quality of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom