Wierd Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afontana102

Hi all,

My Beardie is about 6 months old now, and I have had him for about 4 months. Today i have noticed him doing some wierd breathing: he breaths deep (his beard puffs a little) and then almost seems like he holds the breath. Its concerning to me because its a new behavior, he was recently diagnosed with parasites and has shown a slight decrease in activity (but not enough that i would be worried if there was no breathing concern).

His tamp temps are around 8085 on one side and 100/102 on the basking side. He has a reptisun 10.0 and a 100w basking bulb. The tank is a 20gallon which will be upgraded soon but he is just barely a foot long nose to tail and seems to have plenty of room. The humidity in his tank is around 40.

He has some rocks he likes to lay on, a hide and a raised spot to bask. His basking spot light is10inches away from his basking spot. We use reptile carpet. He eats crickets and mealworms and kale. We are recently trying to cut out crickets and start introducing more greens/veggie but he is picky. He gets misted about twice a week, and water from a syringe when he takes it.

Im just worried about his breathing because i have not seen it before and it looks like he stops breathing for a brief period after his deep breath. He was physically checked by a vet a week and a half ago and she found nothing wrong. Thanks for any info you can get.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is he possibly going to shed his face/beard area & his nose is plugged up with the nose plugs?
A lot of times that happens & they can't breathe very well until they shed out.
Could he be stressed from something in his environment?
I wouldn't cut his crickets out completely at his age, but try offering the greens first to see if
you can get him more interested in them.
Is he on medication for worms or parasites & if so, what medication is he on?

Tracie

Afontana102

Original Poster
He shed earlier this week, he had nose plugs then. We rearanged the room he is in recently and he is now on the same level as his brother but they cant see eachother. He has not started the medication yet for his parasites, we are waiting for the weekend so we can directly monitor the first couple days of him on it.

Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, so his nose plugs have already come out, that is good they came out so he isn't having
trouble breathing through his nose!
I hope he does well on the meds then. How is his appetite today?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom