Beardie sinking fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricerbug

Hi any help or advise would be highly appreciated,

I have a 7 mo. old female bearded dragon, over the past week she has taken a nose dive. Her tank is small but I am just about to move her to a giant 40 gallon. I have just bought her the ideal Reptisun 10.0 UV bulb and her temperatures are good. She has repticarpet and eats Phoenix worms and meal worms, some dandelion greens now dusted with calcium.

A month ago, I noticed 2 bumps on her tail, one towards the top and one at the bottom. I took her to the vet and they did x-rays and told me that it was a minor bone infection and gave me Ceftazidme injections to give her over the course of several weeks. (The bumps are now gone) After a few shots, I noticed she was beginning to open her mouth a lot but didn't seem to be breathing through it. The vet said that the strong antibiotic she was on really ruled out RI and she also had no other symptoms except the mouth opening. I stayed the course of antibiotics and then 5 days ago she suddenly lost the ability to walk normally.

She wobbles when she walks, rolls over onto her back and cannot get up. She briefly lost interest in eating when she had been eating like crazy. I took her back to the vet who wanted to run blood tests and stuff but it would have been a massive amount of $ that I cannot afford right now. The vet suspected MBD because of her bad UVB bulb and lack of calcium supplements. She was given a calcium shot and I was told should perk up in 12-24 hours. I also have oral calcium supplements and an inflammatory that I must give daily. This was Saturday, it is now Tuesday. She is still weak, wobbly, her appetite is back but she opens her mouth constantly and I shined a flashlight in there and it looks bloodshot? Do they get strep? I'm so at a loss as to what to do for my little friend. Any advice, hope, help, would be appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry that your girl is in such condition. A few Q's....you say you just got a new Reptisun bulb, did you have a uvb light before ? I think all of her symptoms do lead up to calcium deficiency, and I believe that the bumps on her tail may have been as well. Do you have before + after shots ? Can you post pics of her now, even a video of her walking if possible ? Also pics of her set up ? Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Hopefully the new lights + calcium will help. Getting her in the sun [ but not in a glass tank , just set her in the grass ] will help as well if she's not to frightened. Be sure she's well hydrated, offer water sprayed on her snout for a drink, be patient + slow. Best wishes to your poor girl !

tricerbug

Original Poster
AHBD":29ashkr7 said:
Hi there, sorry that your girl is in such condition. A few Q's....you say you just got a new Reptisun bulb, did you have a uvb light before ? I think all of her symptoms do lead up to calcium deficiency, and I believe that the bumps on her tail may have been as well. Do you have before + after shots ? Can you post pics of her now, even a video of her walking if possible ? Also pics of her set up ? Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Hopefully the new lights + calcium will help. Getting her in the sun [ but not in a glass tank , just set her in the grass ] will help as well if she's not to frightened. Be sure she's well hydrated, offer water sprayed on her snout for a drink, be patient + slow. Best wishes to your poor girl !

Hi, sorry for the 2 day wait I had to move out of my college housing and back home for the end of the year. I can't upload pictures or videos at this time but yes I did have a UVB bulb before it was a coil however so not a very good one. Right now Moxie is still alive and she still eats. I have been giving her squash baby food with a syringe 2-3 times a day and my BSFL should arrive today and she will have some of those (she has been having meal worms which I know are bad I ordered BSFL as soon as I could) she has been showing minor improvement, alertness, movement, so on and so forth. Right now her constant mouth opening is my main concern. Is it possible she has an RI. Today she seemed more listless than the past few days and I worry she is going to die although I don't know what it would be of.

tricerbug

Original Poster
Moxie passed away today. The (new) vet said her kidney's were failing but that she did not have MBD. I had her euthanized as our only other options were invasive and painful attempts at extending her life with no surety of success. I miss her terribly.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear it was too late to help. You probably made the right decision to save her from suffering as her systems shut down. I wish there were better options available. I know how hard it is to lose them =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom