Rapid weight loss. No idea how it could have happend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I Just weighed Loki yesterday and I was shocked to discover that he went from 1 lb, 4 oz to 15.8 oz. He has been eating and acting normally and has been basking regularly. He hasn't pooped in about a week or so. Any Ideas on what could have caused this??

His info: Male, 3 Years old, 19-1/2" Currently in a 3FT X 18" X 17" tank but soon going to upgrade to a 4FT X 20" X 20" tank.

Eats Collard, mustard, turnip, and kale greens, Dubia roaches, BSFL, and Superworms. and Also blue, black, and raspberries.

Has a repti-glo 10.0 T8 tube bulb. Basking spot is 104F, Warm end is 80F, and cool end is 75F.

Pictures: View media item 60625 View media item 60724 View media item 60629 View media item 61161
Thank you in advance!!

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Loki just did a huge, super smelly poop today. He seemed to have gone down to just 15 oz now. So he's still losing weight. :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's about a 100g drop. Certainly worth noting. Is he active? He looks OK int he photos. If he is getting a lot of exercise it could account for the weight loss. If it continues on this trend I'd bring him in to the vet though.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I Did note it (I have a record on all my animals weights and lengths). Also Cisco and Daisy did lose about an ounce but they're both super active and Daisy does humongous poops. Although lately Cisco has been doing very small poops. Is that normal?

He's super active but only when he's out of his cage.. In his cage he's a slug. He also went down to 14 and a half ounces, How could he lose half a ounce in less then four hours? If he loses any more weight I'll take him to the vet.

He's also been super hormonal (Always head bobbing and black bearding, and also attempting to mate with EVERYTHING). He is also getting ready for a shed, It looks like he dipped the front half of his face in white paint Lol.

I Don't think that he was handled much at his previous owners because any time I pick him up he freaks out and whips his tail around even when I'm holding him securely and when he does calm down he holds onto my hand with vice grip like strength. Any Ideas on how I can get him to realise that I'm not going to drop him?

I'll keep Y'all posted. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would say that is a bit of weight loss. Males can run themselves ragged & not eat much
during mating season. A fecal exam would probably be a good idea though.
They look so cute when their face is going to shed!
Has Cisco been eating very much? Sometimes they can leave a lot of urates & go to the
bathroom often but very small stools.

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
All of them have been eating like horses, Loki still hasn't shed yet and he seems to have lost about 5 grams but seems to be fine otherwise.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things? Did you get him to eat anything?
Shedding can definitely stress them out for sure! I hope Loki gets his shedding finished up
real soon.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Loki has eaten a TON of food lately (he even ate all of his salad!! :blob5: ). Yesterday he ate two salads three dubias, and four superworms. He has also started shedding off the skin around his face but isn't done yet.

The other two are doing fine, and Gizmo the gecko gained two grams :D

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I Forgot to mention that Loki's also been less active recently. He seems to mainly want to just eat, sleep and bask. :?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Loki did a nice, Huge very firm poop this morning... The downside was that he did it on me. :x He has also started shedding off the old skin on his belly area as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like Loki is doing pretty well & has finished some shedding then, finally!
Remember shedding tends to make them a little lazy sometimes, especially the adults. LOL
At least he is basking even if he isn't real active at the moment.

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
He seems to be doing fine today. He burrows underneath his paper towels a lot. Last time I checked on him he was trying to jump out of his cage. :roll:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Update on Loki:

The Little dude has been doing wonderful with us, He has had a tank upgrade and is Very snuggly. :love5: He has also gone back up to 1 lb. 1 oz. :) View media item 60613 Majestically Basking while on the way to Repticon.
View media item 60987 Snuggling with me and Daisy. :love5:

View media item 60656 ...and His new 4x2x2 tank. :) Thanks Y'all for the help. :D :study:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
He's also just as hyperactive as Daisy. :blob5: He loves to run around, snuggle, bask, and bob at just about anything. :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great pictures! :D
So, Loki has gained some weight back then? He looks happy there :D
The new tank upgrade is terrific, I bet he loves it.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom