Help! Brumation or something serious??

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliasthyr

This is my 2.5 year old beardie, Jaxon. Lately he hasn't been himself. He barely eats, he doesn't really poop much, and he's always sleeping on the cool side of his tank.
98333-9780083950.jpg
His setup:
40 gallon Exo-Terra Vivarium
Reptile carpet substrate
24" Reptisun UVB tube light (only 2 weeks old)
65 watt indoor flood light as a basking light
temps: 103 F on basking hammock, and 78 F on cool side

He is offered a beardie salad of mustard greens/collards, squash, occasional blueberries or rasberries, and cut prickly pear bits.
He is also given a diet of superworms, dubias, and crickets. All dusted with herpivite and calcium powder.

He has a pile of soft blankets that he sleeps in. He digs a burrow in them and buries himself in them. In the last few days, he sleeps all the time. I used to place him on his hammock, and he still sleeps. He has a vet visit this Friday, but I still want some advice. I got him in January, but I don't think he went through brumation earlier in the year.

Thanks for the help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like he has slown down for a late season brumation, as some of them tend to do.
Is he losing weight or maintaining it? Based on the picture, he looks as though he is in good
condition physically.
Is the Reptisun 10 tube within 6-8 inches of him & is it mounted underneath of the screen
or underneath of the screen?
How often do you give calcium for him?
I would have them do a fecal if you can so try to get some food into him if possible. I am
not sure a blood test would be warranted, but you could consider that. Definitely don't let
them give any medications without analysis or justification of them. They can do more harm
than good most of the time.
Are you using a digital probe or temp gun to measure the temperatures with?
Let us know how he is doing & how the vet visit goes.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom