Blackening Toe and Maybe Tail Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I’ve just received a bearded dragon from my good friend for my birthday. He said it was a rescue, and I have no problem with that whatsoever. However, I have noticed that one of its toes is starting to turn a darker color and it looks shriveled up. I think it may be spreading to another toe? I’ll provide pictures below. Also, I noticed the end of the tail seems a little off. It looks a little crooked and a bit dried up. Maybe this is a pre staged tail rot in process? Here are some images! I do have an appointment at an animal hospital on Friday. The only doctor near town that was certified in reptiles. https://imgur.com/gallery/VIyJm

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

Welcome to the wonderful world of beardies! :D

That toe does look concerning. I Would try soaking it in diluted betadine for 20-30 minutes and putting raw unpasteurised manuka honey on it as well. Just make sure that there's no loose bugs in his tank.

The toe looks necrotic and could be a bite from a tank mate. Does he live with any other beardies? Is there any retained shed on the toe that could be cutting off circulation? Could you post a few pictures of his setup and lights? https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ How is he doing today?

I Hope that he feels better! :)

-HippieLizards.

ChewyVuitton

Original Poster
Hi thanks for responding ! So right now I just have a pretty basic set up that I will be adding to in the near future. (I get paid tomorrow so I will be shopping for a few things to make it a bit more comfortable for the beardie! The single light is a 125 w Mercury Vapor Bulb. Basking temps reach 105-110 with the cold side being around 75 - 80. The cardboard substrate is being replaced tomorrow. (I received the dragon in such short time so I didn’t really know what to use.) I’ve heard newspaper or paper towels are fine, but I had neither. :p Here is the picture of his set up as of today.
98507-6740860389.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
His setup looks nice.. Minus that he doesn't have a UVB bulb. You should get him a reptisun 10.0 T5 HO (high output) to put with the MVB and that would be a great source of UVB and heat when combined.

Here's the link to it: https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjOrvy1ycTaAhVHVw0KHRISB-oYABAFGgJxYg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASEuRoyHD5pcREwu93h53AaFuCJg&sig=AOD64_3FEBzUnEDceh5Wd65EDmjmubsaYw&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjZ2Pe1ycTaAhVDoFMKHV5GAcUQ9aACCDA&adurl= Thankfully they're not that expensive.

The temps are good and for a different substrate You could use slate tile or non-adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, or newsprint. The cardboard is also fine.

Have you tried soaking him in diluted betadine yet?

ChewyVuitton

Original Poster
I have not yet, I am currently in class and plan on grabbing some on the way home. But when I get home that will be the first thing I do! I didn't see a link in your post but I will just google it when I get the chance. Should I still take him to the vet? I'm not sure how much that solution costs, but if that could help him any more than the vet could I'd like to take the vet out of the picture because he is very pricey just for visits! Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Yes, he definitely needs to still go to a vet because I fear that the toe might have to be amputated. This is a list of vets http://www.anapsid.org/vets/ can you see the link? You could click your state/country and call around to see who's cheaper but still super experienced.

ChewyVuitton

Original Poster
Yes, I do see the link. I'm going to give the closest one to me a call. I've searched his name on google and nothing but good reviews. I'll let you know how everything works out, in the meantime class is almost over and I'll be grabbing the Betadine along with the UVB bulb.

ChewyVuitton

Original Poster
98507-7660755384.jpg

I have added the reptisun 10.0 and have been letting him sit in Betadine for around 25-30 mins once a day since yesterday. The vet visit is tomorrow and hopefully he can get the beardie fixed up ! Also I’m getting a new substrate today !

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Looks great!! :) How's his toe doing today?

Keep us posted please :D

ChewyVuitton

Original Poster
Well, his toe is still dark and shriveled up. The toe right next to it is starting to turn too. I also noticed a toe on his other foot looks like it may be starting too? It's kind of worrying me, but the vet visit is early tomorrow morning and hopefully, he can determine what's going on and help prevent it from even further progression. He is eating very well, and drinking lots of water. I just ordered some nutrigrubs and dubia roaches that should be delivered in a few days! I hope he likes them.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
That's very concerning that it's spreading. :( I'm REALLY hoping it's not fungal. But a skin scraping test on both feet would help a lot.

Let us know how the vet visit goes! :)

ChewyVuitton

Original Poster
The vet said that the toe should fall off itself. He also said the beardie was really healthy and to keep him in Betadine every day for the next week for about 5-10 minutes and contact him if any more of his toes are looking black or shriveled. He’s being very active and still eating well. The Dubai roaches were supposed to be delivered yesterday but they never came in ! :/ hopefully we’ll receive them tomorrow.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
How has he been doing lately? Did the toe worsen or anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom