Cold Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoblinG00P

Im in a bit of a panic at the moment. I've had 2 bearded dragons for 4 years now, and i love them to death. However, this story/question is possible because of my then pregnant wife. We just had a baby this afternoon. Our first. And i don't blame her or the baby on any way. This is my fault. ......

I bring my beardies out in a mesh enclosure during the day under the morning sun on my balcony almost every morning (weather permitting). This morning was no different. Until i step inside to use the restroom, and my wife starts screaming downstairs, she's about to have the baby. So i help her to the car and drive off, im at the hospital, with my wife and she's just given birth and im so happy to see my baby ...... But as im sitting here at i realize all of a sudden, that i didn't bring the bearded dragons inside, it's 56° F out right now and i can't leave the hospital until morning .... I know beardies can live through a little cold weather, but im honestly terrified for them right now. First thing in the morning im rushing home. When i get home in the morning, what should i expect? And what should i do? I'd do anything to help them ....

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I've had a few cold nights before in the winter, I've never seen it get below 55 for the most part in the enclosures.

Last year in the winter when I only had two beardies I woke up to the enclosures being 55*F, they were still alive but very slow moving and it took a bit for them to warm up but they did make it through the night.
The second time was just a few months ago, it got down to about 55 again but this time I was prepared and put CHE's on the 7 tanks, even then it was so cold it only got up to about 60 in the enclosures that were on the floor, my two adults were sitting on a table so they were at about 65-70. The reptiles were fine in the morning but still took a while to warm up and move around.

They can handle some low temps but generally you never want to go below 65 for beardies.
As long as it doesn't get below 50 I'd hope they would be fine.. especially if its supposed to be warm tomorrow where you live.
Do you guys have anyone that could possible go over and bring the dragons inside?

As for what you should do when you get back home I'd bring them in and slowly warm them back up. And then check to see if their alive, its fairly hard to see when a beardie is breathing sometimes so you may have to mess with them a bit by irritating them until they show signs that they are alive still. Maybe drip some water on their nose and see if they react at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom