Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylarD

I just rescued this 2 year old female bearded dragon from a coworker of mine. They had her in a 20 gallon with only a heat lamp and she was being treated for tail rot. Well she did not continue treating her and the tail rot got worse to the point where her scales are falling off exposing the musle underneath. Im going to be setting up her a vet appointment this week as soon as I can. But in the meantime I would like to know if there is anything I can do for her now to make her more comfortable and possibly help the tail.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear about this poor dragon, good on you for taking her in. You can put raw, unpasteurized honey on the tail [ it's a powerful antimicrobial ] but be sure she's on paper towels and no loose insects are hiding anywhere that would go for the wound + the honey. Make sure the vet is experienced with reptiles and get her in ASAP. It may need amputation to keep her from septicemia.

Can you post pics of her with good shots of the tail ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XING to upload them

skylarD

Original Poster
98473-2544436422.jpg
This is her tail. Its not bent like it looks like in the picture, the scales have pushed up to create a bump and the bump is coming off. Ill try the honey thing to help her out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ouch, poor girl, that looks painful for her! How frustrating that they let it go for so long.
That's great you have a vet appointment set or are looking into it. I think it will most likely
have to be amputated, at least from what it looks like in the picture.
Definitely try the raw unpasteurized honey on it for now, until you can get further treatment
for her.
How is her appetite doing, is she eating some?
Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Tracie

skylarD

Original Poster
I will be making a vet visit as soon I can. So far she is not eating anything. She was very happy to go drink from the water I provided for her which is a plus. Also do you know the average cost for tail amputation? And is there anything I can do for her after it that will help comfort her? It would be my first beardie that has gone through something like that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great she took some fluids today. I hope she starts eating something soon, to keep up her
strength. I am sure the tail hurts her some.
The prices vary greatly but for surgery, it will likely run a few hundred dollars since they will
put her under anesthesia most likely. They could just use a general anesthesia since they wont
be cutting her open or anything.
She will just need everything in her tank to be nice & soft so she doesn't bump her tail & hurt it
more. The honey can be used post surgery also to keep infection away.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, poor girl ! Don't delay at all, that needs amputated ASAP. Infection can spread up under the scales where you can't see and can actually kill her. Dragons usually do very well with amputations + can be up + eating sometimes the same day or the net day. Best wishes for a good outcome !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how she is doing & how the vet visit goes. I hope it all goes well & it is a good
sign she is still eating, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom