Parasites or renal problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceinspace

I adopted a bearded dragon named Sake late December of last year, so I've had her for about four months now. This whole time she's looked really dark. At first I thought it was from egg problems she had when I first received her, but she still always looks dark. Her eyes are also droopy. She is very lethargic but is also very responsive. She has been flaring at me a lot more recently and her beard is almost always dark. She is usually good about eating her greens, but now she hardly eats them. I tried feeding her strawberries (her favorite) and she only ate a few peices. She does, however, eat live food.

In her time in my care, she has had a hard time passing stools. They are not very solid and fall apart very easily, and are somewhat mucusy. Today I found blood in her stool (mixed with her urate). It was not a super bright red, but it wasn't brown, either. I realize now that I probably should have collected some of it for a parasite check, but I was dumb and did not.

I did some research on what it might be an narrowed it down to parasites or renal problems. What do you guys think?

I know you're probably wondering, I'll tell you about her enclosure. She has a 75 gallon terrarium, a UVB light, and a ceramic heat emmiter. I plan on switching the heat emmiter to a basking bulb. I feed her collard greens everyday and occasionally brussel sprouts, and calcium dusted crickets every 2-3 days. Her basking spot is 100 degrees (Fahrenheit) and the cool side is 77. The humidity is at 27%. I bath her twice a week and spray her with water once a day with a squirt bottle.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possibly parasites but my first guess is that the lighting isn't quite right. Proper lighting has a direct effect on their digestion and overall health so it's good to get that fine tuned first. I agree with your plan to replace the CHE with a bright white basking light. A CHE is nice overnight or as additional heat but during the day you want a basking light to produce a bright white light that when combined with the UVB light will produce light similar to natural sunlight. It's also important to use a high quality UVB light and have it set at the correct distance (this varies between lights). What are you using and how far is it from her basking spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom