Help!!! My beardie ate an American oil beetle! Is he ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run4life10

I was outside with my beardie and he tried to eat a big black ugly beetle looking thing. He spit it out after biting into it, which I thought was really weird. It wasn’t until several hours later I was researching and found that this was an American oil beetle, unmistakably. It said that they are very poisonous, and I’m really concerned. Even though he did not actually eat the whole bug it seems like he would still have been exposed to the toxins? I tried to feed him some crickets tonight, he ate one but generally was not interested which is very unlike him. I also offered him some veggies which he did not eat. It is hard to guage how he’s acting now since it’s late at night and he’s sleepy anyway. But I am really worried now that he may have been poisoned, does anyone know if there is anything I can do?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Vet visit is in order , as it's likely been too long since he ingested some of it now to administer a slurry of activated carbon and he has likely been poisoned and it's in his bloodstream now.

The vet may have the antidote on hand.

Run4life10

Original Poster
Would he be acting any different? When I woke up this morning he is acting like his normal self, though still not sure if he ate any of the crickets. I don’t have a vet in my area.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If he's acting fine then he should be fine. One thing to keep on hand is activated charcoal which can be given in case something toxic is eaten. It absorbs the toxins + allows them to pass through. You can get it at Walmart or most drug stores.

Run4life10

Original Poster
I was able to get him to a vet yesterday, and they put him on milk thistle as a precaution. But they checked his tongue and no blisters or anything, so they think he spit it out before any damage was done. I had read about the activated charcoal when I was researching but the only thing open at midnight was a CVS and they didn’t have it. But I’ve already ordered some online, will definitely be keeping that on hand from now on. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom