[HELP] Bearded dragon spasm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimoo

Hello there, I have had a little baby beardie for 2 months now, I feed her on calcium worms mostly and vegetables, but yesterday I ran out of my supply so I bought some mini mealworms... She hand feeds mostly and lives a happy life, but today she has been very shaky and when I go near her she shakes a lot... I have tried feeding her but she has been uncomfortable... I just tried picking her up then all of a sudden she almost froze, and her mouth opened and she started breathing insanely fast then a little bit of poo started coming out, I put her back in, where she fell off her log then all of a sudden she came back around. She hasn’t been moving much since and I am worried!.

Yesterday I fed her about 10 mini mealworms and 2 calcium worms (only ones I had left) and today I gave her some butternut squash, I wouldn’t think this is impaction because it’s been 1 day, and surely 1 day without calcium worms wouldn’t cause calcium deficiency? Should I try feeding her more worms coated in calcium? I haven’t been dusting the calci worms because they have enough calcium in them apparently, and I didn’t dust any mini mealworms yesterday! Thanks

Edit, I also forgot to say, she only fainted when I got her out of her viv, which she never does because she loves coming out and running around and sleeping and eating... at the current moment she is sitting on the ground fairly lethargic a bit shook I would think. I am wondering if maybe eating all those yesterday made her feel sick and made her not want to come out? If she felt sick and then I took her out that could’ve made her feel a bit scared maybe?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your little one is having some trouble.
Can you review your tank setup with us a little more, such as the type/brand of UVB, the
temperatures & other lighting as well as supplementation so we can be sure everything is
correct?
Since you had been feeding mostly calcium worms, you had not been giving any calcium at
all during that time, correct? The calcium worms are calcium loaded, yes, but it is still a
good idea to supplement the youngsters a few times a week even with them eating those
worms.
It sounds like to me that she had a little seizure caused by a calcium deficiency. If this is
the first time this has happened, then hopefully it's in early stages & you should be able to
reverse & stop it pretty quickly.
I would increase her calcium to 4-5 times per week for right now, to help get her system
in check. I would limit the mealworms too since they are harder to digest & can cause some
impaction issues, especially in the little babies & juvies.

Tracie

Shimoo

Original Poster
I have a exo-terra 10.0 light (The one for bearded dragons (I dont know if its a 10.0 or like 0.1 its confusing and i threw out the box)) i have a 100 watt heat lamp, i know its a bit strong but i have a thermometer in her basking spot and i have lowered it to a nice temperature (Plus she is very good at running around the cold end and jumping on leaves when she is bored/hot) i forgot the measurements of my tank but its wood with a glass front! She seems to be fine now, i have given her some butternut squash and raspberries coated in calci dust!

I didnt realise you still need to dust calci worms every now and again, so that could be why! Ill make sure to keep on my calcium game... The reason i am feeding her mini mealworms is because the place where i get my calci worms from is currently out of stock, so she will be on mini mealworms and veggis and fruit for about a week until i get the calci worms! then it will go back to calci worms and vegetables! i am not going to get her out for today, i will let her rest then tomorrow ill give it a go!

(She has also been back to jumping on her fake plants and sitting on her coconut!)

Shimoo

Original Poster
I forgot i submitted the previous one, and wrote it again basically here, but here is the picture!

so, i wrote a reply but forgot to save draft before i uploaded a picture... she is happy now, i didn't know you had to still dust calcium worms! So i will remember that and keep up on my calci game!
She has been running around her cage and jumping on her plants (Also not to forget sitting on her coconut) so she is back to normal... I wont pick her up for the rest of the day, just to let her recover. She is in a wood tank with a glass front, i forgot the size but its big enough! she has a exo-terra 10.0 light bulb (I think its called a 10.0 (I know its the bearded dragon one and but forgot the numbers!), and a 100 watt heat lamp, i know that 100watt is alot but i have made sure the basking spot is the perfect temperature, plus the basking spot is a declining log so she moves herself depending on heat :D, the only reason she has been eating mini mealworms is because the place i usually get my calcium worms from is out of stock. So i need to feed her mini mealworms as her meat for about a week, but today she has chomped through some butternut squash and a bit of raspberry! Thanks for your help, any other advice is great! :DDDD

full

(she has skin on the floor because she just shed, i am cleaning out her viv tomorrow)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like she is doing well! She does look quite beautiful in the picture, too.
Yes, do dust at least 3 times weekly with calcium even though you are giving the calcium
worms, she needs it.
The Reptiglo 10 tube bulb is an ok bulb, but, not real strong. I would recommend considering
upgrading to a T5 tube bulb, either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% both of which
are good. Until then, is the Reptiglo 10 tube placed underneath of the screen about 6-8 inches
from her? That will maximize her UVB exposure for now. It needs to be mounted alongside of
your basking light, too.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom