Tail Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie12345

98358-5591219482.jpg
Hello, I’ve had a beardie for just under 2 years now, everything seemed fine until a few days ago and then he started opening his mouth. Just today I put him in his cage and took him back out a few hours later and his tail was like this. Does tail rot just appear like this, is it tail rot, and how quickly do I need to care for it? To note, he is a Pogona Vitticeps, about 1 and a half years old, never been truly “sick” before, EXTREMELY friendly.

He is usually on sand, which I admittedly didn’t keep very clean recently. He was just now a few hours switched to the pads since I had no sand left to refill his cage. I’ve heard you can soak their tail in Betadine and then also put Neosporin on it for tail rot? I don’t want to have to amputate, if possible.

Edit: I'm so sorry, this was just his coloring. I took him out in the sunlight and his colors went back to normal. I'm a worrywart lol.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His tail looks OK to me. Can you post a few more photos that are a bit closer and show the end of his tail? From what I see in the first photo it looks like he may just be getting ready to shed the end of it.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I'm pretty sure that that's just normal coloring on his tail But a closer picture would help.

Btw, I did notice two husbandry issues that you mentioned in your post:

>You mentioned that he was on sand.. You should keep him off of the sand PERMANENTLY. Here's two links with some reasons why NOT to have a beardie on sand: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=241558#p1849160 and another post I said about Sand: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=241500#p1849156 I Would recommend keeping him on the carpet you have currently that was in the picture.

>From the picture I can see that he has a red bulb.. These are useless and can hurt the beardies eyes and disrupt their sleep patterns. Throw it out and replace it with a normal light.

Sorry for rabbit-Trailing about sand. Lol :)

-HippieLizards.

Eddie12345

Original Poster
HippieLizards":1svjal79 said:
Hello,

I'm pretty sure that that's just normal coloring on his tail But a closer picture would help.

Btw, I did notice two husbandry issues that you mentioned in your post:

>You mentioned that he was on sand.. You should keep him off of the sand PERMANENTLY. Here's two links with some reasons why NOT to have a beardie on sand: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=241558#p1849160 and another post I said about Sand: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=241500#p1849156 I Would recommend keeping him on the carpet you have currently that was in the picture.

>From the picture I can see that he has a red bulb.. These are useless and can hurt the beardies eyes and disrupt their sleep patterns. Throw it out and replace it with a normal light.

Sorry for rabbit- railing about sand. Lol :)

-HippieLizards.

The red light is only for over his basking spot at night to keep him warm, there is also a UVB light in his cage that was off since it was night time when I took the picture. It is also to be noted the big rock in his cage is a heated rock, should i just use the heated rock at night and stop using the red light overall?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
You do not need the red bulb at all or the heat rock. The heat rock is actually worse because sometimes they can reach up to 120F and they are known to cause SERIOUS burns. Please either return or throw out both the red bulb and the heated rock. Because they do more harm then good.

As long as the tank is above 65F then the beardie should be fine because they do need a slight drop in temperatures in night time just like they would in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom