Still refusing to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to quote my last post.

“I’ve talked about this before, but my Apollo is having some eating issues. I keep him in a 40 gallon tank with basking spot at around 90° and a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB bulb. He has a nice shady spot with a cave and some rocks to perch on in his basking spot. I clean his tank regularly as well. Apollo seems perfectly fine—lots of energy, drinks water, sleeps well, very awake and lively...but he just will not eat. I did notice he has a bit of shedding on his arm, but that was first noticed a few days ago. Apollo hasn’t been eating for at least 6+ days. His poop was always fine but has been a little weirder since his lack of appetite as well. I constantly am force feeding him and it hurts me to do it because I know he absolutely despises it and hates me for doing it, but I don’t know what else I’m supposed to do. I throw blueberries and worms in his cage—sometimes peppers but he’s least likely to eat those of the 3 things I give him—and once in a while he will go for them but he only eats two or 3 for the entire day. With the exception of the few times he’s eaten on his own, every other day he absolutely refuses to eat anything at all and will even look at his food sometimes and completely ignore it. When I first got Apollo he had eating issues, but for months he never had a problem and would actually eat around 10 worms with a small pile of greens EVERY DAY, and I never once force fed him. As of recently, I have to force feed him at least 3 blueberries a day. I try feeding him the worms, but he usually ends up crushing them and letting them fall out of his mouth. Although he seems perfectly healthy in every category but his eating habits, I worry immensely. I don’t have the money to bring him to the vet and I’m at such a loss on what to do about my baby. Someone please help me—let me know if I’m being overdramatic or if this is something I should remain serious about. What is wrong with my bearded dragon and how do I help him?”

Apollo hasn’t been eating for a few weeks now, I don’t even know how long. I changed his temperature and it now sits around 100+ degrees every day because I was told it may help, but it kinda hasn’t. This past week I’ve noticed that Apollo sometimes hides in the dark when I get home from school and his skin will even be a little dark in color. He is awake though, but he just sits in the dark sometimes and I’m not sure why. I’ve also noticed he hasn’t pooped in a few days when he was pooping every day/every other day and everything was normal. I think it had been 4 or 5 days before Apollo pooped today, but I noticed he didn’t poop that much. It seemed normal, not too dark or runny, but a lot less than usual. I kept assuming it was because of his shedding or maybe he is going into brumation, but I have no idea. Yesterday I looked it up and read that “you shouldn’t feed your bearded dragon fruit often” so I started replacing the fruit for veggies today—but about 5 minutes ago I tried feeding him veggies and he just completely spit them out. He used to LOVE green peppers and has never intentionally dropped or spit out food when I forcefeed him, but today he just absolutely refused to swallow any green peppers and also gave me a black beard as if he was annoyed by me doing so (he never does either of these things—I’ve been forcefeeding him for weeks, unfortunately) On top of all this, though minor, I have noticed he has been laying down more often and even sometimes sleeping while basking. He doesn’t seem lethargic, but I find it very odd that he would sleep in his basking spot. My parents won’t take me to a vet and I don’t really have to money to do so right now, so I’m at a loss what to do. I’m getting very frustrated and more so worried. I’ve started giving him baths more often as I’ve been told it may help, I’ve raised his temps to at least 100° if not higher, I’ve been giving him more attention in hopes it may help, and as of today I’ve stopped feeding him blueberries. I need all the help I can get, because I have no idea if this is something very bad or something mild. I also want to mention that I am gentle when forcefeeding, I don’t scarf things down his throat if he is strongly suggesting he does not want them. I also thought it was worth mentioning that he is not on loose substrate, so that is not a problem either, and also that he seems to be done shedding. If you can give any insight on this issue, please do. I really need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom