Is my beardie dying?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlquick

I purchased my female beardie about 1-1/2mths ago, and I’m assuming she’s about 4-5mths approx 14”L.
She has had a very healthy appetite and good health overall up until about 2 weeks ago.
One day I noticed her poop was softer than usual, not diarrhea, but a high water content, and not solid.
That went on for a few days, and I thought maybe her basking temps weren’t high enough around 96-97*, and on top of that I knew her UVB lighting wasn’t enough.
So I went out and got a deep dome and the PowerSun 100W.
That brought the basking temps to 100-101*, and I knew the UVB would be substantial enough at 10” from the lamp.

A few days went by and her poop stayed the same soft/watery consistency, healthy appetite, but she started to act weird..
She started getting under her hide about an hour or two before bedtime, as if she was trying to get away from the lamp, or she was just ready for bed? On top of that, she would glass surf constantly, and dig randomly in different parts of her terrarium. That went on for about 3 days, and I decided to swap the lamp back out for the previous basking bulb to see if the PowerSun was affecting her.
No change.. she still had soft/watery poops, healthy appetite, and went under her hide an hour or two before bed.
So I went back to the PowerSun, so she would still get the UVB she needs. That was a few days ago.

So starting off today, she got her normal breakfast, still healthy appetite. She pooped once, which was still soft/watery. I left for a few hours, and when I got back, she was on the cool side of her terrarium on top of her hammock freezing cold..
I picked her up and moved her to her basking spot for about an hr, and tossed some crickets in and she ate a few, but waited for them to come to her, which is abnormal for her. Normally she chases them down instinctively.
She only ate a few, and went back to her basking spot.
I left for about an hour, and when I got back, she was on her hammock on the cool side again..

Now I’m extremely worried about her.. she’s acting really lethargic. I picked her up and held her for about fifteen minutes to try and comfort her, and placed her back in her terrarium for bedtime, and she went to sleep right where I put her down. Normally she digs around for a while to get comfortable, but she went to sleep right where I put her..

What is wrong with my beardie?? I’m so upset she may die tonight or soon.. I have no idea what’s going on.

Here is my setup:

40gL Tank 36”L x 16”D x 16”H
ZooMed Deep Dome fixture
ZooMed PowerSun MVB UVB/UVA 100W (100-101* basking)
Zilla T8 18” UVB Lamp (Just for coverage)

5-6 Superworms dusted with RepCal Calcium D3 is breakfast everyday. Dusted with Herptivite once a week.
About 20(+) crickets a day.
I also keep fresh Mustard Greens in her feed bowl all day, which she does eat sometimes, but I keep offering it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, hope she isn't dying!
How far is the Powersun from her? Is it at a 12 or so inch distance & mounted on top of the
screen top?
She started acting like this after you placed the Powersun over her?
It could possibly be the Zilla T8. How close is that tube to her? Those lights have been known
to cause eye & other health issues. Try turning that light off, using just the Powersun. A good
tube to use would be either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14%. The Powersun is an
ok bulb but usually isn't all that strong but it makes a good basking bulb.
How are you measuring the temperatures?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

dlquick

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3sgbsgii said:
How are you measuring the temperatures ?

With what ?

The ZooMed Probe Thermometer, I lay it right next to her every other day to verify temps at about 100*.

dlquick

Original Poster
Drache613":2zf0fhe3 said:
Hello,

Well, hope she isn't dying!
How far is the Powersun from her? Is it at a 12 or so inch distance & mounted on top of the
screen top?
She started acting like this after you placed the Powersun over her?
It could possibly be the Zilla T8. How close is that tube to her? Those lights have been known
to cause eye & other health issues. Try turning that light off, using just the Powersun. A good
tube to use would be either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14%. The Powersun is an
ok bulb but usually isn't all that strong but it makes a good basking bulb.
How are you measuring the temperatures?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

The PowerSun is on a screen top, approx 10” away.
The Zilla T8 is approx 12” away from the bottom of the rest of the enclosure.
I’m also measuring temps using the ZooMed Probe Thermometer. I sit it right next to her every other day to verify basking temps are correct. Around 100*.

dlquick

Original Poster
Just an update from last night

I turned her lights on this morning, and she hopped up to her basking spot, and stayed there for about an hour. Gave her breakfast, and she returned to glass surfing instead of. basking after eating..
I put her on her basking spot, and she stayed there for about 5 mins, and went right back to glass surfing.
I put her back, once again for about 5 mins, then she went right back to glass surfing.
So I got worried she would never warm up. I gave her a warm 10 min bath, and returned her to her basking spot. She stayed there for about an hour, and now she’s glass surfing again..
What is the deal with her?..

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Spring has sprung (I suspect this is at the heart of matters).

I think she's hormonal and really needs time running about in a safe place to get it out of her system.

Be thankful you have a girl and not a boy .... as he'd be super worked up and likely doing all manner of naughty things and all manner of objects would be taking his fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom