Sudden Swollen Neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted, I have a worrying health concern with my beardie, Rocky. He's two years old in May, but last night I noticed him gagging during a bask, gagging like they do when they're shedding their body, where they twist and squirm but I could see right down his throat and as he gagged he pushed up what looked like a big red ball which I assume is some kinda of muscle or beard pouch, along with this his beard was jet black but on the top was still bright and colourful so he was clearly upset about something, since then his neck has looked swollen, no hard mass, it is soft. He will still drink water from a syringe.After a cuddle the black beard had gone but he looked sad. I have an appointment for him on Monday at 5pm but wanted to check on here with the experts. I should note I tried to use meal worms that day to coax him into grabbing some salad along with a worm but as a rule I don't give them, I know the risks.

He has a 4ft vivarium with paper towel, two UVB D3 Arcadia 12% tubes across the length of the viv and a 50W heat lamp. His temps are usually 85-87f on cool end and 95- 100f warm end, basking spot will be between 102-104f.
He is never unhappy so this is a little worrisome.

Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Emma

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Emma, he may have something stuck in his throat. Did he grab some mealworms along with the greens ? If so he may have swallowed them whole at the same time he swallowed the greens. If that the case, see if just offering water daily + then stroking his throat will help it to go down. If he could get to a vet today they might be able to go in with forceps in case there was a way to grab something that is stuck. Other than that, try the water and the gentle stroking of his beard.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi AHBD,
Thanks for the speedy response, the earliest appointment they have is Monday, and I don't know of any other herp vet where I am, this one is an hour away. The food being stuck was my first thought but I couldn't see anything whilst he was gagging, I've gently rubbed his throat a little, it doesn't seem bothersome to him and if anything, he enjoys it, lol.

Do you think a warm bath would help? And will he be okay to wait until Monday? He still head bobbed at me like he always does after it happened so seems okay in himself. I'll continue with the water and gentle strokes of his beard and see if it helps ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He should be fine. Just watch for obvious choking, coughing , heavy breathing, etc. Other than that it may go away on it's own or the vet can check to see if there's a problem.Sometimes a swollen throat can be a sign of a vitamin deficiency or excess or a sign of a resp. infection but since this came on so suddenly it's likely something that may resolve itself. :)

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've been watching his breathing and any signs of respiratory infection but there's been no coughing or wheezing, the only thing is, I struggle trying to get him to eat greens, that's the only reason he had mealworms at all and now I feel so bad.. He's just so stubborn, didn't know what else to do. Would you suggest holding off with any food? Or would food help what is stuck go down maybe? I recently found out my local pet shop can order in dubia roaches as I'm in the UK we don't have them, would they be a good staple? He likes locusts too much and I'd like to mix it up a bit.

I don't know what I would do without this place, honestly, lol. Thanks for helping, I appreciate it. ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well, I hope that I'm helpful with this, just guessing as to the cause + how it will be resolved. :) He's not in any distress, so that's good. You can feed him, just nothing too big or too much. If he had a ot of water to drink recently you can try tipping him like a teapot [ nose down] to see if excess water comes up.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you, I hope you are right. Looking at him now, it seems like the swelling is more on his left, it's like a soft balloon. I don't like to see him this way ?

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
*Update*

He seems a little dark in colour today, I stroked him on his side and he stretched his arm out as if to try to move me. He's never done that before..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Emma,

Poor boy, his beard really swelled up! So, stroking his beard & getting fluids into him hasn't
helped any yet? It does sound like something is stuck in his throat or it really irritated it &
made it swell up. Is his beard staying black now?

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,
Thanks for replying.
His beard was black for a while after the gagging episode but once I comforted him it has stayed normal, he seems to be his normal self. I've tried a warm bath, he just wanted to drink the water, he seems quite thirsty I must admit so I've been offering water frequently and he's drank every time. It seems to be more swollen on the left side of his neck. I would have tried to remove anything there but couldn't see anything and he's still bright and what you'd believe to be happy so apart from the swelling he looks fine. Can you comfort me in telling me that it isn't anything sinister? If it was a growth it would be a hard mass, right?

Emma

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So, he pooped today, it looked normal, he's drinking fine, eating fine apart from being stubborn with his greens. He stretched his beard this morning as always. Could it be possible that whatever was stuck had passed but the irritation caused the swelling and it will just take a few days to go down? Is there anything I can give to help? Would he need antibiotics? I had been trying to upload more pics yesterday but it was playing up but it worked today. There is one of his normal 'poses' (yes, he knows he's a pretty boy, lol) where you can see the difference in the neck.
91928-9505591914.jpg
91928-2787653459.jpg
91928-8672523531.jpg
91928-9201551545.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He is a handsome boy. :) If this flared up in one day I'd think it would go away on it's own in a few days or so. You could always have him checked out if it lasts a long time or if any other symptoms appear.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is a stunner, he has this beautiful strip of gold that runs down his back, I think his mother was a sandfire and father was a citrus so he's quite yellow but some orange often shows through. I recently bought him the expensive Arcadia D3 12% tubes, I wanted him to have the best and since then he is just so bright and happy.

Ugh I could go on and on, lol. How long should I give it before seeing the vet do you think? I have the Monday appointment but if I have the option to wait it out a bit and it clears up itself, it will help my finances, not that I wouldn't take him if he needs to see them, I would always go whatever the cost. I just wish there was something I could do at home to help.. ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I used to have some from the sandfire line years ago, they were the original high color dragons. :) As for taking him in to the vet , it would probably ease your mind. I don't think it's anything serious and I think it should go down on it's own but that's just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom