Urgent help! My BD has weird bumps!!! Got results: Ranavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanaeon

80687-4672971671.jpg
80687-7674022359.jpg

Please help!!! What is it!!! There is no reptile vet nearby!
I love him so much I dont want anything to happen to him
The bump seems like his scale goes slightly translucence

There are 5-6 spots that i can see
It wasnt there 4 days ago
I suddenly noticed it today

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Ryan, it's not Y.F. and it doesn't look serious really. What did the vet say , and did he give you any meds. ? How did he diagnose this, any type of skin scraping or test ? How's his activity + appetite ?

Try some diluted chlorhexedine or betadine on those spots dabbed on with a Q-tip .

ryanaeon

Original Poster
AHBD":297j0qui said:
Hi Ryan, it's not Y.F. and it doesn't look serious really. What did the vet say , and did he give you any meds. ? How did he diagnose this, any type of skin scraping or test ? How's his activity + appetite ?

Try some diluted chlorhexedine or betadine on those spots dabbed on with a Q-tip .

He took a fecal test and scrapped a sample of the bump. He said from the look of it it is Herpes simplex virus, which he said was not curable. However we are gonna wait for the test results. He gave it an injection and I have some meds for him. You can only keep it away by providing the best conditions. I should know exactly what it is in 3 days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How's he eating and acting otherwise ? And from what I read those lesions aren't listed as a symptom but that was just an article I read in reptiles magazine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it definitely isn't yellow fungus & doesn't really look too bad at all.
Let us know what the test yield when you get it back, too. Which medication did they
give him? Virus' are hard to get rid of, but you may be able to get it cleared out eventually.
Maybe it isn't herpes at all, that seems kind of odd.
Does it seem to be affecting him at all?
If he's still eating that is a great sign.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

ryanaeon

Original Poster
Drache613":3gd6xq7u said:
Hello,

I agree, it definitely isn't yellow fungus & doesn't really look too bad at all.
Let us know what the test yield when you get it back, too. Which medication did they
give him? Virus' are hard to get rid of, but you may be able to get it cleared out eventually.
Maybe it isn't herpes at all, that seems kind of odd.
Does it seem to be affecting him at all?
If he's still eating that is a great sign.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie
He is still basking, moving around and eating his worms.
He doesnt eat veggies so sometimes i Have to force feed him. His diet ratio needs to be improved for sure because currently he is eating more worms than veggies, but he just mostly ignores his veggies. I have him for 3 years now, this is the first time he is sick.
I have a Sulcata tortoise at home too, but they live separatedly, the doctor said the Sulcata may be a carrier and gave it to him at some point?

ryanaeon

Original Poster
I got the results back
Test positive for Ranavirus while negative for HSV

Anyone know more plz share

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Here's more info on it. Scroll way down in the first article until it gets to central bearded dragon case. They used povidine/iodine or betadine on the lesions so you can get some of that at Walmart or a drug store right away. Just dilute it with water until it looks the color of iced tea or a bit darker and use a Q-tip to dab the spots a few times a day.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3850657/

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for that AHBD, that helps a lot.
I will check my medical books for anything else, too. The iodine is great for keeping the area
clean.
That's great news it wasn't herpes simplex virus though.
How is your boy doing today?

Tracie

ryanaeon

Original Poster
Update:
He got 12 lesions in total.
We put him on 4 shots of INF over a period of a week,
A white pill split into 8 parts and feed daily .
Also betadine drops on the spots

This week is UV treatment for half an hour daily.
Throughout the entire thing he is active and eating normal.

The lesions have shrunked and looked almost healed.
I’m very glad eventhough it was abit costly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom