Manny Wont Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got Manny he was already a couple months old according to the breeder. Its been a year since then and yes he has grown but for some reason he stopped. I got him in January. When the winter months came he went in brumation but now its March and he is still not growing. Last time I measured him was a couple months before brumation and he was exactly a foot head to tail and he hasnt grown since.
Should I be worried?
I read that beardies stop growing at a year and then hit a massive growth spurt, is this true?
He hasn’t been eating a whole lot because its too cold for places to ship crickets, so hes been surviving on collard greens calci powder vitD powder and occasionally blueberries shredded carrots and lettuce (he likes the really green parts of romaine), so will feeding him crickets help him grow?
I have a reptisun 10.0, a Sulvania house flood light 65 watt, and a ceramic heat emitter on his 40 gal tank.
If i get him a bigger enclosure, will he grow?

Im guessing its because I cant get him crickets right now unless I pay an obscene amount for like twenty at petsmart but Im holding out until absolutely necessary. Im on a strict budget I cant pay petsmart prices when crickets online are waaaayy cheaper for wayyyyyy more. Should I just get over it and get some crickets?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Manny does definitely need insect protein + should have more growing to do. You should order crickets + superworms on line, they will last you a long time. He's on the small side for superworms but could eat the mediums + also the large if you cut them in half. Only 3-5 at a time at first.

His tank is fine for him, but how are you measuring the temps. ? He's too small to safely brumate, how long did he sleep ?

DubzandBandz

Original Poster
The temp on the hot side is Ninety Five.

And now that im thinking about it again Manny was pretty small. So maybe the breeder lied and he wasnt a couple months? I just hope hes not sick or something

DubzandBandz

Original Poster
OH AND he has really clear eyes like i can see all the hazel and he has dark pupils he looks at things that move and his favorite thing ever is to sit onthe windowsill and look out the window. Its like his TV. So i dont think hes sick

I'm having the same problem as you. We have two beardies, we both got them around a week apart last April, and the one that didn't go into burmation is 18" and the one that did is 13.. maybe 14 at best :( I'm worried. She still keeps going back into burmation as well, comes out every few days to see week and has some food and makes a poo and then goes back to burmation.

DubzandBandz

Original Poster
Lovinonmybell":2bu1ht1m said:
I'm having the same problem as you. We have two beardies, we both got them around a week apart last April, and the one that didn't go into burmation is 18" and the one that did is 13.. maybe 14 at best :( I'm worried. She still keeps going back into burmation as well, comes out every few days to see week and has some food and makes a poo and then goes back to burmation.
exactly i dont know whats going on. ill take manny in for a vet visit and see what the vet says.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Is your UVB a compact or tube light? If its a compact/coil bulb thats probably one of the reasons for possible stunted growth.

DubzandBandz

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":ci0bpjs2 said:
Is your UVB a compact or tube light? If its a compact/coil bulb thats probably one of the reasons for possible stunted growth.
Tube light, it’s the reptilight something the one in the yellow and red box that everyone recommends. Manny is in a 40 gal and I’m currently building his new enclosure that will be 4ft by 2ft. Would a bigger enclosure help him grow?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Also, having a bigger enclosure would help them grow yes but every bearded dragon growth rates vary but a 4ft x 2ft would be perfect for Manny. That is what I have for my beardie and he is doing great in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom