rescued beardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope you have figured out how to heat his water a little bit. LOL
Are you referring to the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% tube bulb versus the Reptisun 10 tube
bulb? Both of those tube should use the standard T8 light fixture, unless you decided
to go with the T5 high output tube bulb instead. I think Arcadia is a bit better over the
Reptisun 10.
Is he eating much right now, or has he not started eating on his own yet? If he is losing
some weight, then you can intervene & feed some baby food for him so that he receives
some nutrition right now. Has he shown any interest in crickets?
When placing him outside, be sure he does have an optimal basking spot, relatively constant
along with a cooler, shaded area, too.
I'm glad to hear he is all done with the Baytril. Hopefully his appetite starts to come back
after being on the medication. At least you have been able to keep him hydrated also.
I hope he is doing better, let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Eteda

Original Poster
Are you referring to the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% tube bulb versus the Reptisun 10 tube bulb? Both of those tube should use the standard T8 light fixture, unless you decided to go with the T5 high output tube bulb instead. I think Arcadia is a bit better over the
Reptisun 10.
yes that is what I was referring to. So for my 40 gallon vivarium the first choice would be the Arcadia T5 HO 48 inch? for desert reptiles which is probably 50 uvb? I need a light with a reflector also if possible right?
second choice would be the Arcadia T8 ect, and then next choice would be the reptisun 10.0 T5 and then coming in last would be the Reptisun T8. Are there any more I should consider.
Do I need a 48" bulb 36 or 24. If its on sale should I get a bigger one for the same price or would that be to much light. I plan on having a bigger enclosure later about 4 times the size of the 40 gallon vivarium. I was thinking of getting a 48 inch for that and covering part of the light with tinfoil or somethin to make it work for for now and or provide a really dark hide for him.
I came across some T5 HO coralife bulbs 10,000K 36" & 48" daylight 39 & 54 watt with aquarium hoods for them. How do they compare to the light spectrum the beardy needs. I don't want to order off line if I don't have to. I'm worried about it being broken when it arrives and the hassle of sending it back.
But if it is the only right choice I will order it online. I did find him a nice log hide that I am ordering online from petco.
I had to take out the world pool with the fancy waterfall because it was to cold I thought but I have to order the heater for it online also.
His appetite is coming back. wed. night he ate 5 wax worms and about 7-8 Large superworms. Last night he ate 1 wax worm and about 7 Superworms.
He didn't show much interest in the crickets or the new superworms I got for him and I also bought him some romaine lettuce. His color has improved a lot in the past few days and I managed to get his super worms dusted with the calcium D3 powder.
So far tonight he hasn't eaten but one superworm. He lays in his Jacuzzi for an hour or so, and sleeps in it to. Then he trapes over to the sun bulb and soaks up some rays. He stayed a pretty light color all night and day today.
I did manage to get some squash, carrot, sweet pepper and zucchini down him but just a piece of each. Approximately how much should a beardie eat? mine is about 12 -18 months old. I did buy two jars of baby food veggies just in case.
I think he expects me to hand feed him also, because I have been for a month now. He is over his respiratory and I NEED him to eat his veggies and food out of a dish.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, for the 40 gallon tank, a T5 Arcadia tube bulb would be great. If you can get a light
fixture with a reflector that would be helpful. The Reptisun 10 T5 would be good also.
Then, if you can't get the T5 light of either brand, the T8 Reptisun or Arcadia would be ok,
too just mounted at a 6-8 inch distance.
Ideally, you really only need to have UVB coverage lengthwise on about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the
length of their tank. It allows for part of the tank to have next to no UVB exposure so that
they can get out of the UVB If they would like to.
The T5 Coral life tube bulbs just emit UVA & help with overall brightness. The 10000K would
certainly be bright, but wont emit any UVB though. They do well with 6500K to 8000K but I
have never tried the higher K rated lights.
Be careful though leaving standing water in his tank over night. Even adults can drown in the
water, not just small ones.
An adult can have 40-50 insects weekly of mixed variety & then vegetation for a lot of their
daily intake. You can supplement with baby food to help him get the nutrition that he needs
since he isn't quite eating enough yet. It sounds like he is starting to do better though! It just
takes time after they have been so ill.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom