Not Eating Alot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a baby bearded dragon about 2 days ago.He is not eating and I try to offer everything I could crickets,superworms, and more.But he is just not eating anything. I offered veggies too but no luck at all. Sometimes he will eat a little but he would eat like 1 superworms and he is done.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Dragon!

First off, they do go through a period of "Relocation Stress" sometimes, where they are a bit skittish and don't want to eat much, and this usually passes within a week or so.

That being said, it's very, very important at this crucial point that you make sure you have a strong, adequate UVB tube, a bright-white colored Basking Bulb, and all 3 temperature zones within the correct ranges, as taken by either a Digital Probe Thermometer or a Temperature Gun (the only way to measure his Basking Spot Surface Temperature, as stick-on thermometers cannot at all measure Surface Temperatures). The most common cause of new baby dragons having no appetite and being lethargic is an inadequate UVB light and/or improper temps.

If you could post some photos of your dragon and his entire tank/set-up showing his lights, and then list exactly what UVB light you have, along with all 3 temperature measures, this will ensure that you're on the right track.

Also, keep in mind that most Bearded Dragons eat little to no greens/veggies during their first year of life. Even though you need to provide a fresh salad every day for him so that he becomes used to it and learns to eat it, since Dragons do almost all of their growth and development during their first year of life, their bodies need tons and tons of live insects every day, and that's why most of them eat little to no greens/veggies until they are over a year old. If your dragon does eat greens before he's a year old, it's like a little bonus. You absolutely must provide at least 2 live insect feeding sessions every day, 3 is better up until 8 months old, each session lasting 10-15 minutes, where you allow your dragon to eat as many live insects as he wants. This usually results in them eating between 40-60 live insects every day until at least 8 months old. For this reason most Dragon owners order their live insects cheaply online, in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom