Spike (the one with Pancake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rescued this bearded dragon he was skin and bones when I got him. His back legs are bummed, he walks on his knees. His fat pads are gone, hip bones showing.

He ♡ me and I ♡ him
He was my first lizard

The old owners didn't care for him They had no heat or UVB on him When I got him he was malnourished. They didn't want him any more. The old owner said she was afraid of it and it had a broken back leg, he was so cold when I first picked him up. His old UVB light the cored was melted through.

Sorry I started to rant
I love my boy Spike
And my girl Pancake
And the other 8 lizards

Here's some pictures of Spike
Skinny back legs
Hip bones showing
No fat pad on one side, and a little fat pad on the other side
Eyes look odd
Head looks odd

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1R9v4i3AniBfzbS82
https://photos.app.goo.gl/21IFOxST1SMsd9CH3

Do you think it's his time?
I don't know how old he is, or his history

I know they need new lights and that sorta stuff...
UVB
Temp. thing
Still trying to get my mom to get them for me for them

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how long have you had Spike ? What lights are you using and can you post pics of his set ? If you can't geta good uvb right now you can tke him in the sun if it's warm out and let him sit in the gras.

Although he's very thin it doesn't look like he's really suffering or ready to die. His eyes look alert....It looks like he can bounce back with some TLC. Make some smoothies for him out of greens [ turnip, mustard, collard, kale,] strawberries, squash, green beans. Add a bit of extra water for more hydration and a pinch of calcium powder. That would be really good for him.

PH1L0D3NDR0N

Original Poster
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zvC2kjSB5lZzd3aS2 Is his UVB light. And he has a ceramic heat bulb.
Live in Ohio.
Here's the tank setup https://photos.app.goo.gl/We602meXzrcVCpI72

I've probably had him for 3 years now, don't know how old he was when I got him. Not young I'm guessing. His aim isn't that good eather. I always had to hand feed him. He loves cinnamon pop tarts, I don't know why but some days that's all he wants to eat, he don't want lettuce, bugs or water.
I don't think he likes calcium powder on his bugs. When ever I put it on them he's like WTF are these, what's that white crap on them... Im like ??? it's just calcium powder Spike, it's not going to kill you.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Your UVB tube is a Reptisun 10.0 T5HO, so that's good as long as you're replacing it once every year (T5 UVB tubes stop emitting any UVB light after about 12 months of use), and you have it mounted within at least 10-11" of his basking spot/platform....However, you mention that he has a CHE, but does he have a bright-white Basking Bulb on during the day, over his basking spot/platform? If not, this is a must, as "basking" is actually a function of light, they are desert reptiles that naturally get all of their required light rays and heat from the sun, and you must replicate this for them artificially. A CHE giving them all of their heat is not healthy at all for them, and can cause serious health and psychological issues. I wasn't sure if you meant he has a CHE for the nighttime only (which he also does not need at all as long as his tank does not drop below 65 degrees at night, they need their tanks at nighttime to be completely pitch-black and also considerably cooler than their daytime temperatures in order for their bodies to be able to rest and for them to sleep soundly; if his tank at nighttime is already at least 65 degrees, which it probably is as most people keep their homes at night at least at 60 degrees, and you then have a CHE on him, this is disrupting his sleep)...However, not having any bright-white Basking Light at all is going to cause a lot of issues and you must get him one immediately if he doesn't have one.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
PH1L0D3NDR0N":11euwvfr said:
Oh ok.
thank you guys / girls.

Oh and Spike doesn't come out from under his hide.

Is this the same dragon? If so it's because he has no basking light...Did you get a bright-white colored basking bulb to go right alongside the UVB tube, both over the Hot Side of the tank? Both of your Dragons absolutely must have a Bright-white colored Basking Bulb that is the correct wattage to keep the temperature zones within the correct ranges, you need no CHE at all. This should make perfect sense to you, considering that Dragons are from the Desert and spend all day long, every single day basking on rocks under the bright, direct sunlight. Obviously they need light to bask in, it is very, very detrimental to their health if they don't have a basking light.

PH1L0D3NDR0N

Original Poster
EllenD":1t8xo2jp said:
PH1L0D3NDR0N":1t8xo2jp said:
Oh ok.
thank you guys / girls.

Oh and Spike doesn't come out from under his hide.

Is this the same dragon? If so it's because he has no basking light...Did you get a bright-white colored basking bulb to go right alongside the UVB tube, both over the Hot Side of the tank? Both of your Dragons absolutely must have a Bright-white colored Basking Bulb that is the correct wattage to keep the temperature zones within the correct ranges, you need no CHE at all. This should make perfect sense to you, considering that Dragons are from the Desert and spend all day long, every single day basking on rocks under the bright, direct sunlight. Obviously they need light to bask in, it is very, very detrimental to their health if they don't have a basking light.

Spike is my rescued handycap male.

Pancake is my young female.
This is her when I got her. From cregs list for 25$
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KJrqPeLV596Q0f2m1

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Possibly. I would try rinsing it with a curved syringe and some water. If it doesn't come loose then a q-tip with some maxiguard gel might help clean it up and prevent infection.

I would get a couple of the thermometers. Put one probe on the basking surface and one probe on the cool side surface so you can monitor the temperature gradient all the time.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
DO NOT FEED REPTILES POPTARTS!!! For the love of all that is basic common sense, feeding a bearded dragon highly processed human junk food with ingredients their bodies are not designed to process is how you wind up with a sick or dead animal! Are you also currently whipping up a batch of chocolate cupcakes for your poodle?!!

PH1L0D3NDR0N

Original Poster
PodunkKhaleesi":2uwaeqes said:
DO NOT FEED REPTILES POPTARTS!!! For the love of all that is basic common sense, feeding a bearded dragon highly processed human junk food with ingredients their bodies are not designed to process is how you wind up with a sick or dead animal!
-~Are you also currently whipping up a batch of chocolate cupcakes for your poodle-~?!!

No, but when I did have a standard poodle he did stupid stuff like that. He died of old age. During easter that damn dog use to suck the middle out of the eggs. Don't know how or why he did but he did.

Sorry
I know it's an example, but I did have a poodle. LOL

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
I don’t mean to sound harsh, as everyone that responds to queries on these forums does so because they love bearded dragons and want to help others keep theirs healthy and happy. But during a vet visit this year I had to watch a child sobbing in the waiting room clutching a dead leopard gecko that they “just wanted to share my cookie with.” After several days of extreme digestive issues the lizard had to be euthanized. Ignoring the specific dietary requirements of an animal and deciding it would be too cute if your lizard nibbled on your dessert means you’re willing to play Russian Roulette with your animal’s health and potentially its life. Even if your pet appears fine after feeding it something nature never intended it to eat and it doesn’t have a fatal reaction, the animal can be subjected to enormous physical distress as its body attempts to cope with ingredients it isn’t designed to process. Below is a link to a chart detailing what insects and vegetables you should be feeding your dragon, as well as which foods are treats and which can be fed daily. You may notice that fruit is an occasional treat because of the sugar content. A piece of a Pop tart has 20 times more sugar than a similarly sized blueberry, as well as saturated fat, high fructose corn syrup, and complex carbs, all of which don’t belong in a bearded dragon’s body. Watching someone feed a reptile a Poptart is like watching a mother bottlefeed her newborn baby Mountain Dew. There are insects, fruits, and vegetables that can make beardies ill or even kill them (avocados are toxic, for example, as are lightning bugs). Being uninformed about these dietary dangers, let alone tossing human food into the mix, can end an animal’s life, shorten its life, or give it a really rough night as it’s digestive system struggles to cope. Like everyone else on this website that takes the time to reach out to a community of experts and enthusiasts, I’m sure you love your beardie and want him around as long as possible. But please read the nutrition chart below and stick to these foods in the future. While I’m sure many animals would happily nosh on a Poptart if offered, would and should are two entirely different concepts. ?
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

PH1L0D3NDR0N

Original Poster
PodunkKhaleesi":1vr6fwhs said:
I don’t mean to sound harsh, as everyone that responds to queries on these forums does so because they love bearded dragons and want to help others keep theirs healthy and happy. But during a vet visit this year I had to watch a child sobbing in the waiting room clutching a dead leopard gecko that they “just wanted to share my cookie with.” After several days of extreme digestive issues the lizard had to be euthanized. Ignoring the specific dietary requirements of an animal and deciding it would be too cute if your lizard nibbled on your dessert means you’re willing to play Russian Roulette with your animal’s health and potentially its life. Even if your pet appears fine after feeding it something nature never intended it to eat and it doesn’t have a fatal reaction, the animal can be subjected to enormous physical distress as its body attempts to cope with ingredients it isn’t designed to process. Below is a link to a chart detailing what insects and vegetables you should be feeding your dragon, as well as which foods are treats and which can be fed daily. You may notice that fruit is an occasional treat because of the sugar content. A piece of a Pop tart has 20 times more sugar than a similarly sized blueberry, as well as saturated fat, high fructose corn syrup, and complex carbs, all of which don’t belong in a bearded dragon’s body. Watching someone feed a reptile a Poptart is like watching a mother bottlefeed her newborn baby Mountain Dew. There are insects, fruits, and vegetables that can make beardies ill or even kill them (avocados are toxic, for example, as are lightning bugs). Being uninformed about these dietary dangers, let alone tossing human food into the mix, can end an animal’s life, shorten its life, or give it a really rough night as it’s digestive system struggles to cope. Like everyone else on this website that takes the time to reach out to a community of experts and enthusiasts, I’m sure you love your beardie and want him around as long as possible. But please read the nutrition chart below and stick to these foods in the future. While I’m sure many animals would happily nosh on a Poptart if offered, would and should are two entirely different concepts. ?
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Very interesting and sad about the leopard gecko

Sometimes spike will not eat anything at all, he is getting skinnier it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom