Tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cammi

Hey guys,

So my 6 year old beardie has been ill for about 3 weeks now after eating a pointsettia leaf and we took her to the vet to fix her stomach issues and we got a diet plan with anti diarhea medicine and she might be getting better however, today we noticed her tail looks dry and is darker. We started researching it online and noticed that it might be tail rot?
We read somewhere that it's good to start a betadine bath for the tail daily but still not sure if that's the best solution? Can someone please look at the images and point us in the right direction? We've already spent quite a bit of money at the vet and the vet looked over the tail and never said a thing, she did do a double take on it.

cLBQ5Fa.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like the end is shriveled a bit. How long has it looked this way? If the shriveled area starts to increase up the tail it could be an infection and need medical treatment. If it just stays the same then it's probably OK as it is. I'd keep a close eye on it and perhaps keep a measurement to be sure it isn't getting worse.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I agree with Cooper...While it's not abnormal for them to have a darker end to their tails, the end of his tail is not just dark, it's shriveled and may be dead. Sometimes that shriveled area will just stay that way with no issues, sometimes it will just simply fall-off with no issues. However, if this was caused by an infection of some kind (maybe he had an injury, bite, etc. at some point?), or it was caused by a band of retained shed around the tail that cut-off the circulation to that portion of the tail, and the initial cause still exists and is active, then it can keep spreading up the tail towards the body.

I'd watch the tail very, very carefully, look at it each day closely, and if that dried-up area gets any larger at all, or you see any blackness spread up the tail above where it's at now, then it's imperative to get him to an experienced Reptile Vet ASAP, as once that starts it will keep going. I don't see any open skin or wound anywhere, so that's good, so hopefully it will just either stay the way it is or the dead portion will just fall off and that will be the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom