Poop problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gtxollie1

My beardie did a poop today and it was in the bath. It started off normal with a long brown bit and a normal white urate. Then, after we thought he was finished, we could see more coming out which we thought nothing of until it had been a minute and still nothing came out. We could see the end of it so we knew it was there. When it came out it was like a huge fat block which was to big to slide out. We also noticed a single drop of a red ish liquid which i thought was blood but it wasn't as red as blood. I then took him out and drained the bath and the poop was too big to go down. When i was clearing it i noticed there was something very hard inside. So, i washed off the actual poop and what was left was a very hard piece of something that looked like wood(it wasnt). I decided to cut it in half which was quite tough. It had a white centre which surprised me. I think it was like a urate that never came out and stayed and rotted inside him. He was fine after as if nothing happened and is still happy. Does anyone no anything about this or experienced this before? Thanks. I will try to post pics.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It's hard to tell what it was (unless you took a photo of it), it could have been partially-undigested food, it could have been something else that he ate that wasn't food, it could have been an impaction of something that was inside him for a while and actually became encased in fecal matter (I rescued a dragon that passed 3 similar things that looked like long cigars, they were actually masses of mealworm shells encased in poop), or it could have been a urate plug. Either way, as long as he's okay now, not black-bearding at all, not bleeding at all now (the blood could have been from the actual act of passing the impaction), not still straining to poop any more, and has no sign of a prolapse or anything else protruding from his vent, then he's probably fine, hopefully it was the only impaction, etc. that he had and he's done now...

What is his normal, daily diet? I don't know how old he is or whether he eats more live insects or more fresh greens/veggies, but if you feed him anything like mealworms or a lot of superworms, which have hard, chitlin shells that they cannot fully digest, then that could very likely be the culprit. If he's at all dehydrated then this can also cause impactions, as can a Basking Spot Surface Temperature that is too low. But as you describe it, it sounds just like the impactions that my rescue guy had to pass, all 3 of them were massive, far too large for him to pass without pain and a bit of bleeding, and all 3 looked like mini cigars that when I wiped the poop away from the outside, ended up being hard, compacted, masses of mealworm shells that had been inside him for quite a long time.

Gtxollie1

Original Poster
EllenD":1z7hpvif said:
It's hard to tell what it was (unless you took a photo of it), it could have been partially-undigested food, it could have been something else that he ate that wasn't food, it could have been an impaction of something that was inside him for a while and actually became encased in fecal matter (I rescued a dragon that passed 3 similar things that looked like long cigars, they were actually masses of mealworm shells encased in poop), or it could have been a urate plug. Either way, as long as he's okay now, not black-bearding at all, not bleeding at all now (the blood could have been from the actual act of passing the impaction), not still straining to poop any more, and has no sign of a prolapse or anything else protruding from his vent, then he's probably fine, hopefully it was the only impaction, etc. that he had and he's done now...

What is his normal, daily diet? I don't know how old he is or whether he eats more live insects or more fresh greens/veggies, but if you feed him anything like mealworms or a lot of superworms, which have hard, chitlin shells that they cannot fully digest, then that could very likely be the culprit. If he's at all dehydrated then this can also cause impactions, as can a Basking Spot Surface Temperature that is too low. But as you describe it, it sounds just like the impactions that my rescue guy had to pass, all 3 of them were massive, far too large for him to pass without pain and a bit of bleeding, and all 3 looked like mini cigars that when I wiped the poop away from the outside, ended up being hard, compacted, masses of mealworm shells that had been inside him for quite a long time.
His live food is adult locusts. He has a bowl of fresh greens everyday as well as fruit and other every now and then however he doesn't really eat the greens. He is 1 year and 4 months btw. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom