Black spot on skin?? Fungus??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!
My bearded dragon is a year old and is in a 40gal Breeder with reptile carpet that is changed twice a week and cleaned daily. His basking spot is from 100-105 and his humidity is around 30-35%. He’s only eating veggies now and sometimes will eat a few roaches or warms.
lately he’s been shedding and I found a black spot on his belly. He has been restless for the past few weeks but i think it’s because of his shedding (which usually happens)
91788-533495360.jpg
91788-9886906519.jpg

Hello no that is no problem he or she is mostly I'm pretty shure of it almost all beardeas have random colored spots on them mine has a black spot on his head but he won't let me get close also he's in his sleeping zone so I can't take a pick but if I can ill show you but that's not a problem to worry about that normal it's snowing sights of growth or it's the food passing through out the stomach

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Nothing wrong there, just normal patterning.
Sometimes beardies will darken more to get more heat while they bask, which causes what most people call "Stress marks" but really its nothing wrong and the name is quite misleading.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I want to make sure that the OP is talking about the normal markings on the dragon's belly and not some other "black spot" somewhere that isn't pointed out, as the photos just show the entire belly. So if there is a specific spot that you're talking about that isn't a normal belly marking then please take a close-up photo of only that one spot so we can make sure we know what you're talking about.

As already mentioned, most Bearded Dragons do have markings on their bellies (some don't) that are no different than the markings all over the rest of their bodies. They are just markings, and they too darken just like the rest of the dragon's body darkens when they are inside their tanks or underneath light/heat, as they darken purposely to absorb as much heat/light as possible. Sometimes you hear or see people call these normal, regular markings on their bellies "Stress Marks", I have no idea where that term/myth originated from, but that's all it is, a myth and totally inaccurate. The marking on their bellies, which usually appear as curvy lines, are no different that the markings they have everywhere else, and they too darken along with the markings on the rest of their bodies when they are trying to absorb light/heat, it does not at all indicate stress.

Ranaisabanana

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the quick response. It is a specific black spot that was never there before even when the stress marks show and showed up after he shead here’s a closer picture
91788-5129141696.jpg

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Ranaisabanana":3kkw7hza said:
Thank you everyone for the quick response. It is a specific black spot that was never there before even when the stress marks show and showed up after he shead here’s a closer picture
91788-5129141696.jpg

Yeah, see, that's what I was talking about, I wasn't sure if you were worried about the regular markings on her belly, or if it was another spot, and it is. That specific mark does look a bit suspect. It's definitely not a normal marking, or a marking at all. It may just be an area of damaged scales that is the result of a shed, but honestly it also may be a fungal infection. I typically don't get worked-up about different "spots" on their skin/scales unless it's very obviously some type of infection, but I think that spot may very well be a fungal infection.

Has it gotten any larger since you first noticed it? If so, then that's definitely a sign that it's a fungal infection. If this were my dragon I would be taking her to a Reptile Vet ASAP and requesting that they take a "Skin Scraping" test, which will have to be sent-off to a lab for testing, and usually it only takes a couple of days to get the results. Do not just let an "exotics" vet or a general vet take a swab or a culture of the area and just look at it under their microscope on the spot, as this almost always ends up in a mistaken diagnosis and the wrong treatment, and with fungal infections a wrong medication usually makes it get worse. Insist upon them taking a "Skin Scraping" and sending it off for testing, and do not let them give her any prescription medications at all until the Skin Scraping test results come back. Any experienced Reptile Vet will suggest a Skin Scraping test immediately.

In the meantime, try to avoid giving her any baths, as if it is a fungal infection the water typically causes it to spread. You can try putting either Hibiclens or diluted Betadine to cleanse the area twice a day (I highly suggest the Hibiclens, as it is very effective in treating all microbes, and by cleansing the entire area with Hibiclens, not diluted Hibiclens, just straight from the bottle, and then let the Hibiclens dry on the area, it actually forms a protective barrier for 24 hours that will kill any new microbes in the area. It's great stuff, they now use it in the scrub-packs that surgeons use to scrub-into surgery with, instead of the Betadine, because the Hibiclens just kills everything.

Other than that, just get the skin-scraping test done ASAP and then go from there. I don't think it's anything serious, like Yellow Fungus or anything like that, so don't worry about that, but there are tons of different types of fungal infections that reptiles can get, and the key to easily and cheaply getting rid of them is getting them properly diagnosed and treated early on.

Also, keep checking her all over for any new spots of it popping up, specifically any that might appear around her vent area.

Ranaisabanana

Original Poster
Thank you so much for responding I’m going to take him to the vet today that is farther but way more experienced than the exotic one here! The spot has not grown but it still worries me. I’ll get on the cleansing ASAP as well! And keep this thread updated

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, please keep us updated. I'm glad I asked the question, something just didn't look right in that first photo to me, yes they have many regular markings on their bellies, but that isn't one of them. Hopefully it's just some damaged scales or something similar, and if the Skin Scraping does come back positive for a fungal infection then hopefully it's an easy one to treat. Keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom