HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay Rex is about 4 months old and for the past 2 weeks he has been breathing with his beard and opening his mouth so I immediately thought respiratory infection but there is no mucus around mouth or nose and he eats like no tomorrow! He is also active and poops daily so i am confused as i wont want to bring him to the vet and have the problem not be a respiratory infection as vets are extremely pricy where i live.

So I read over it twice and he could be sick or really exited and if they are breathing with there mouth open still he could have something logged in his throat

beardedlover101":80dvavlk said:
So I read over it twice and he could be sick or really exited and if they are breathing with there mouth open still he could have something logged in his throat
also I'm supprised no one else chose to help you with your problem

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Alexmc2003":gvsdrujn said:
Okay Rex is about 4 months old and for the past 2 weeks he has been breathing with his beard and opening his mouth so I immediately thought respiratory infection but there is no mucus around mouth or nose and he eats like no tomorrow! He is also active and poops daily so i am confused as i wont want to bring him to the vet and have the problem not be a respiratory infection as vets are extremely pricy where i live.

See your above post and the reply that I posted and that JessPet posted asking you a bunch of questions about your husbandry and diet...I do not think it's a respiratory infection, but rather a husbandry issue pertaining to temperatures or lights, or it's not a problem at all if he is just doing normal mouth gaping while he's under his lights, as this is a way in which they normally regulate their body temperatures, and is not at all a health problem. However, I do see some issues with your lighting, and possibly your temperature zones, so it's best to go over the questions I listed to make sure, as I''m sure that your lights are at the very least not set-up properly. This has nothing to do with him "mouth-gaping", but it's best you make sure that your lighting is adequate because if not he will end up with serious health issues.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Here, I just copied/pasted my response in your other post that turned into a cluster, lol. If you could just answer the questions about your husbandry as closely as possible we can make sure everything is okay and help you where you need help. Again, I think your dragon is just doing normal mouth-gaping to regulate body temperature while basking, but if he starts exhibiting any of the symptoms I listed, like wheezing, coughing, clicking, or excess mucousy strings around his mouth, then he need to see a Reptile Vet to have a culture taken to check for a bacterial or fungal infection.

Okay, wow, lot of stuff going on here, lol...

Back to the OP with the original problem, so for the past 2 weeks your juvenile has been puffing his beard up and opening his mouth...They do this for a number of reasons, it does not sound like a respiratory infection, usually with a URI they wheeze, cough, make clicking sounds when they breath, and they have a lot of excess mucous around their mouth when they open it, in strings.

This sounds like a husbandry issue, probably with your temperature zones or your lighting. I did notice that you have 2 compact lights on 2 different sides of the tank. This represenst a problem in and of itself, because you should have a bright-white colored basking bulb (which is the correct wattage to put both the Basking Spot Surface Temperature and the Hot Side Ambient/Air Temperature within the correct ranges) and a UVB light BOTH OVER THE HOT SIDE OF THE TANK, RIGHT ALONGSIDE EACH OTHER, WITH HIS BASKING SPOT/PLATFORM DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH BOTH LIGHTS! This is how you achieve the goal of replicating natural sunlight for him, so he gets both lights at the same time while basking. So that's problem #1...(Unless you are using a Mercury Vapor Bulb)...

Usually when they open their mouths inside their tanks like that it is because they are trying to regulate their body temperatures. It doesn't mean that they are too hot necessarily, it could, but it can also be completely normal. But we need to know some things about your lighting and temperature zones:

#1.) What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temps inside his tank?
#2.) What are the CURRENT temperature readings of his Cool Side Ambient/Air Temp, his Hot Side Ambient/Air Temp, and then his Basking Spot Surface Temp?
#3) EXACTLY what UVB light do you have for him (Brand, Wattage or Strength, and what type is it, meaning is it a compact, a coil, a long, fluorescent tube, or an MVB)?
#4.) Is the UVB light on top of a mesh lid to the tank/ How far away, in inches, is the UVB light from his Basking Spot/Platform? How many hours every day are you leaving both his UVB light and his Basking Bulb on?

#5.) What wattage and color of Basking Bulb are you using? Is it a regular, halogen basking bulb/Indoor Flood Bulb, or is it coiled/spiral?
#6.) What is his normal daily diet? And how many days a week is he getting a calcium supplement and a multivitamin supplement?

You're using a solid substrate, so that's good, often times they get chronic Upper Respiratory Infections when they are living in ANY TYPE of loose substrate, as all loose substrates are breeding grounds for all types of bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc. and they harbor these microbes from the moment you put them in the tank, no matter how many times you change them or scoop out dirty substrate. Most people think of bowel impactions being the #1 issue with loose substrates like sands, crushed walnut shells, bark, wood chips, rodent bedding, etc., and this is a huge issue, especially with babies and juveniles under a year old, but Bearded Dragons are VERY prone to Upper Respiratory Infections, Eye Infections, and Skin/Scale infections, so loose substrates are just an unnecessary risk that owners take, and I can't for the life of me figure out why, because they are not at all natural for a Dragon, they come from the Australian Deserts, which have little to no sand at all, they are a hard, rocky terrain, so you're forcing them to live in an unnatural environment, and then on top of that you are risking all of these serious health issues every day, all day long, simply because you like the way it looks I guess...disposable paper towels would be better...

Anyway, that's not your problem, and I don't think it's a URI, though it could be, but we'll know a lot more once you answer the above questions as closely as you can. You can find the info right on your lights if you don't still have the boxes or don't remember.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
beardedlover101":2tx9irzb said:
I was talkin to him earlier

Yeah, I read through that...When I asked what the dragon's "Daily Diet" is, I meant the entire daily diet. It's a 4 month old dragon, so their main source of food should be tons of live insects every single day, if they eat any greens/veggies at that age it is simply a bonus. Bearded Dragons do most all of their growth and development during their first year of life, even though they technically continue to grow until they are about 2 years old, most all of their growth is done during their first year. This is why most dragons don't eat a lot of greens/veggies, because they need tons and tons of live insects every single day until they are around a year old, then they usually start to naturally eat less live insects and start eating more and more greens/veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom