Our ER story and a little info the vet gave me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came home yesterday to my òmras tank lid totally flung off the tank. His lights were flung onto a nearby chair, his log and hammock out of the tank and his heating pad was on the floor. I think somehow the dogs were either trying to attack his tank or were playing by it and got caught up in the heating pad cord, which went up the side of the tank and into it under his rock. I put his temp gauge back inside the tank and it was 60 degrees in there, and i had no idea if he had been hit by any decorations or how long he had been cold. We rushed to the hospital and the vet said he was totally fine physically, no broken bones or trauma or lacerations. But he did tell me that because he was so cold, and possibly that cold for a long time i couldnt feed him for 24hrs to allow his body temp to come back up. Òmra doesnt need to be fed extra at this time, just his normal amount and then he can go back to his regular schedule.

TLDR: I cried alot, then the vet told me my lizard was fine. Do not feed cold bearded dragons. Let them come up to their regular temp for a few hours. Also the lamps we use are definitely fire hazards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
What lamps are you currently using?
Any heat lamp honestly is a fire hazard if not used properly.
Also so sorry that happened to you, at least he's fine and he didnt get hurt. Do you know what the temps were in his enclosure, or at least what are the temps usually during the day without the heat lamps on.

Helicoptermom

Original Poster
We have a che , a regular house light, both mounted in chicken lamps, and a uvb light mounted in a exo terra compact top. With all his lights on his hot side is about 100 degrees and his cool side is about 87. At night with only his che and heat pad its about 85. I honestly looked for an equation to try and figure out how long he was cold, but i only found newtons law of cooling and couldn't figure out how to use it. We have lots of plans for making everything safer, we were comfy and naive about just letting the lamps sit on the lid at the top of his cage.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
You're very fortunate that it ended that way, probably only because you have dogs and not cats, usually when it's cats that are involved in this situation, the dragon is either killed or very badly injured. I too have 2 dogs and now 4 Bearded Dragons. There is no question about this if you have even 1 cat, you absolutely must keep your dragon's tank inside a room that has a latching door, keep the door latched at all times, and make that room totally off-limits to the cat or cats at all times, and make this a rule of the house that everyone who lives in the house is well-aware of. With dogs it's not usually an issue of them trying to get the dragon as it is with cats, who are just natural hunters/predators and will not stop until they get the dragon. With dogs it usually is a situation where they run or slide into the tank or the table/stand that the tank is sitting on, they knock the tank over, etc. If you are able to keep your dragon's tank in a room with a latching door that can be made totally off-limits to the dogs, then that's the way to go. If not, then try to put your dragon's tank up higher or on a sturdier stand/table/desk/etc. that cannot be knocked over by the dogs.

And as far as the Dragon's temperature, no, you can never feed a dragon solid food when it is cold, and this is why their Basking Spot Surface Temperature must always be between 100-110 degrees F, depending on their age, because this is the Surface Temperature at which their body will be able to properly digest solid food. If the Basking Spot Surface Temperature inside your dragon's tank is too low, even just down to 90 degrees, this can cause your dragon to be unable to properly digest any solid food that they eat, in addition to obviously not being able to absorb, process, or use any of the nutrition from that food. This can cause severe bowel impactions and even serious infections within the GI Tract, and then even eventually sepsis, because they will basically just have whole, rotting food sitting inside their GI Tract that basically poisons them.

FYI, this is why it's so very important that people not simply use only stick-on thermometers inside their dragon's tank, as no stick-on thermometer can measure the Basking Spot Temperature, as it is a SURFACE TEMPERATURE, and stick-on thermometers can only measure the Ambient (air) Temperatures within the tank. Every Bearded Dragon owner needs to own either an Infrared Temperature Gun, or more commonly and less expensive is a Digital Thermometer that has a Probe on a wire, these cost only $10 at any pet shop. It's a very common mistake for people to list their dragon's "Basking Temperature" as the temperature they are reading on the stick-on thermometer that is located in the Hot Side of the tank, and this is NOT their dragon's Basking Temperature, but rather their dragon's Hot Side Ambient (air) Temperature. This can and is often a lethal mistake, as they know that the Basking Temperature must be between 100-105 degrees, so they get that stick-on thermometer located in the Hot Side of the tank to read at least 100 degrees, and sometimes if they have a dragon under a year old they will try to get it to read 105-110 degrees; and since this is not the Basking Spot Temperature, a SURFACE temperature, but is actually only the Hot Side Ambient Temperature, which should only be between 88-93 degrees at a maximum, this very common mistake is often lethal, as they end up literally cooking their dragon...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so glad that your dragon wasn't injured. The dogs were thankfully just playing.
How is he doing today?
Can you possibly move him to another lower traffic area to help avoid accidents in the
future?
I would recommend changing out his UVB light to a better & stronger one. You can get
either the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% tube. They are both very good
bulbs. There are also tube bulbs which are higher output tubes, the T5 that you might
really like those.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom