Prolapse what can I do. Unable to take to a Vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianne

I just got this beardy from a person that couldn't give her the attention she needed. She was ok initially then started to slow down. We thought shw had a black hair in her vent but today a long black need dart started to come put along with her anus. I have her in warm water. N she keeps contracting the stomach to get it out. I don't know what to-do. 2 inch of her anus is also out an around the dart.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Vet emergency .... two inches of lower intestines exposed / prolapsed is a VERY BIG DEAL , she's going to be in shear agony , don't try to pull the foreign body out , take to an emergency vet hospital PRONTO.
Photo showing this close up will show clearly exactly what's going on , but getting the dragon immediately to a vet hospital is much higher priority.

THERE IS NO HOME REMEDY and NO OPTION - a vet must deal with this surgically under a general.

This is life threatening and if the prolapse isn't retracted very soon it will turn necrotic and kill the dragon.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
My God, she's going to die. Her intestines that are exposed are going to become necrotic. She's in a lot of pain, you absolutely must get her to a reptile vet immediately, you can't fix this at home!

Marianne

Original Poster
I don't have a way to get her to a Vet for at least 2 days. There isn't a local vet with in my area. The dart is out and her rectum shrunk up much smaller. I used Neosporin n a qtip n moved it around until it slid back in . its been quite an ordeal for us both. I'm not heartless. I'm doing what I can with what I have. Taking her to the Vet is not an option at this point. So for now I'm praying an checking on her every few minutes she is exhausted but coloring is good..

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Marianne":3ovjix3v said:
I don't have a way to get her to a Vet for at least 2 days. There isn't a local vet with in my area. The dart is out and her rectum shrunk up much smaller. I used Neosporin n a qtip n moved it around until it slid back in . its been quite an ordeal for us both. I'm not heartless. I'm doing what I can with what I have. Taking her to the Vet is not an option at this point. So for now I'm praying an checking on her every few minutes she is exhausted but coloring is good..

Photos before and now (after it's retracted) .

Two days is way too long for her to wait (she's already in agony and it wont take two days for the internal organ that has prolapsed to dry and die and a lethal systemic infection to set in).

If she were my dragon I'd have the vet send vet nurse or vet out on an emergency ambulance run to my home to assess the situation on the spot and take her back to the animal hospital with them if I was not able to take her IMMEDIATELY myself (I'd spare no expense to save her and provide the urgent surgery under a general that she needs).

Longer you leave this the worse and more expensive her treatment is going to become in an exponential way IF SHE SURVIVES THE WAIT.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you got it back in, that's great ! Keep her hydrated and don't feed her for a couple of days. When you do start feeding her again , just soft + small food items. Can you post pics of her rear end ? What did you mean by a dart came out ? Here's how to post :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

A vet can put in sutures at each corner of her cloaca to keep it from coming out again.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":1hjk8421 said:
If you got it back in, that's great ! Keep her hydrated and don't feed her for a couple of days. When you do start feeding her again , just soft + small food items. Can you post pics of her rear end ? What did you mean by a dart came out ? Here's how to post :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

A vet can put in sutures at each corner of her cloaca to keep it from coming out again.

The OP said about 2 inches of gut was prolapsed .... that's an enormous amount of the lower GIT to have exposed for even a full grown adult bearded dragon .... and then to be somehow pushed back in

It is likely damaged and obstructed now because it wont have gone back in mechanically the way it should have ( likely twisted , and become blocked and blood supply is compromised to the organ , this is called volvulus and it's a very dangerous and painful condition requiring surgical intervention ). My mom had this one stage and it nearly killed her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well the thing is, it's gone in now + so that's better than it being out. Most vets just guide it back in whenever they see these cases , there's even online pics somewhere of it being done in a clinic. The O.P. is in a much better position than when the prolapse occurred. [ This might even be a troll, O.P I apologize 100 % if this event is true ]

And in the long run there is still a chance of the prolapse recurring, there have been a few on here that have had their dragon die despite being seen by a vet. It's a tough situation with the sad reality of a 50-50 chance of it happening again.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Oh my goodness, that is scary.... how did you know it was intestines? I have no experience with this in any form, but I'd definitely say a vet needs to be seen... I can't even imagine that kind of torture. What causes that? I didn't even know that was a possibility!

Excuse me while I go look at Kevin & Keisha's butts now...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Starla, there are 2 types of prolapses, a hemipene [ obviously only in males ] and rectal. The hemipene is much less serious and much, much smaller. A reptile can have a hemipene removed if it became necrotic and he could still survive. A rectal prolapse is an emergency because obviously a creature can't survive without that part of it's body. Sometimes caused by just straining too hard to lay eggs or trying to defecate. Sometimes related to high parasite load or having a large mass of feces that is difficult to pass, possibly because of dehydration.

I had a dragon prolapse in the past, thankfully survived + even thrived after I manually put it back. This was about 18 years ago. if you Google b.d. prolapse be ready for some horrific pictures.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
AHBD":3bkea4g3 said:
Starla, there are 2 types of prolapses, a hemipene [ obviously only in males ] and rectal. The hemipene is much less serious and much, much smaller. A reptile can have a hemipene removed if it became necrotic and he could still survive. A rectal prolapse is an emergency because obviously a creature can't survive without that part of it's body. Sometimes caused by just straining too hard to lay eggs or trying to defecate. Sometimes related to high parasite load or having a large mass of feces that is difficult to pass, possibly because of dehydration.

I had a dragon prolapse in the past, thankfully survived + even thrived after I manually put it back. This was about 18 years ago. if you Google b.d. prolapse be ready for some horrific pictures.

Ahhh... thank you LOL! I probably won't be googling that right now but maybe later. Gotta keep an eye out for that with Kevin I guess. Him & his weird poops lately.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I gotta agree with Knobbys totally on this one. 2 inches of intestinal tract to even an adult dragon is like 10-15 inches of ours coming out. Imagine that. And they didn't say that it's back in AHBD, they said "It's shrunken quite a bit", meaning that there is still a good bit on the poor dragon's intestinal tract still hanging out of it's vent. And Knobby's is correct, you absolutely cannot just push it back inside the vent, as the blood supply can easily be blocked off and obviously that will kill the intestines very quickly, that is the intestines that isn't already becoming necrotic from hanging out of the vent.

I read your post AHBD and I figured you didn't catch what they actually said, as the entire intestinal tract has not retracted back inside the dragon at all, it's still exposed. There's no way that I can think of to successfully get 2" of intestinal tract back inside the vent, let alone without causing huge blood and oxygen supply issues. This must be horribly agonizing for that dragon, that's the first priority here, can you imagine how badly that must hurt internally, to have fecal matter moving through your bowels and at the same time have the bowel not only be pulled outside your body, but then be messed with, moved around, and shoved back inside you all willy-nilly? That's just awful.

And I have absolutely no idea what they mean by "a black dart" either, I have no understanding of how this actually happened in the first place, as to actually pull 2" of a dragon's intestinal tract out through the vent is not a "prolapse", that's a mechanical disembowelment, seriously. How in the world did this happen? And what do you mean by a "black dart" was hanging out of her vent?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The O.P says it shrunk + then it slid back in. So we won't know until they come back or still don't know if they are a troll. [ Sorry O.P if this is real ! ] And the vet procedure is to get it back in + put a couple of sutures in. If they DID get it back in as I did mine then it's just a matter of time as to whether it stays or comes back out. The one I put back was a large juvenile, at least 1.5" of prolapse, lots of blood and it did stay in. So this is just going to be touch + go.

Former posters here had all the vet attention including sutures and the dragon still didn't make it. One of them here actually had multiple vet visits but it continued to prolapse and died. It all depends on the health of the dragon and how the procedure goes. Some will make it, some won't.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I recall that situation, and I know they often "fall out" AHBD, the point here is that 2" of this dragon's intestines didn't prolapse, it was pulled out by the owner...that's not at all the same situation, who knows what damage they did by actually pulling out 2" or more of intestines. This wasn't a "prolapse" at all...I still don't understand what they were talking about with a "black dart" sticking out...

I apologize in advance too, but I smell a troll as well. We'll see, if I'm wrong then I too apologize, but the whole "black dart sticking out of her vent so I pulled 2" of her intestines out" thing is a bit suspect...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The first post is a bit hard to understand, I just reread it, doesn't say the O.P. pulled it out with a hair. A dragon sensing any foreign object would try to push it out [ if this is true ] You can't pull out the rectal tissue. Any protruding tisue would be a prolapse. Here's what it says :

I just got this beardy from a person that couldn't give her the attention she needed. She was ok initially then started to slow down. We thought shw had a black hair in her vent but today a long black need dart started to come put along with her anus. I have her in warm water. N she keeps contracting the stomach to get it out. I don't know what to-do. 2 inch of her anus is also out an around the dart.
Marianne
Newbie Poster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom