Not open for further replies.

MiChEaL

87311-4014233397.jpg
[/XIMG]
87311-4014233397.jpg
87311-4394699535.jpg
87311-9529159814.jpg
87311-9684261735.jpg
Okay so I had posted a little while ago about a tail I had thought it got better but I was wrong. The end of her tail seems to be completely dead as she has no feeling when I do the pinch method. In the pictures you can see a build up of something and that is where the feeling starts again. It looks really bad and I'm not sure what I should do. I know I need a vet but to my knowledge there are none here that take reptiles I am gonna call around tomorrow to see if i can find any that cam amputate it because I'm pretty sure that needs to be done. The black part also seems to be crunchy any help or ideas would be awesome thanks .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This needs to assessed by a competent REPTILE VET very soon before it becomes a life threatening systemic infection.

I'm not sure an amputation is necessary , this may be treatable and recoverable with proper medications. Amputation of part of a dragon's tail is a very serious issue and not an option to be taken lightly.

MiChEaL

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3k5ug494 said:
This needs to assessed by a competent REPTILE VET very soon before it becomes a life threatening systemic infection.

I'm not sure an amputation is necessary , this may be treatable and recoverable with proper medications. Amputation of part of a dragon's tail is a very serious issue and not an option to be taken lightly.

How would it be able to be treatable from where it's at right now?

MiChEaL

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2xp94qg3 said:

I dont think it would be too bad to get it amputated because it is only about maybe half an inch at the tip of where it ends

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MiChEaL":1vhxw2re said:
kingofnobbys":1vhxw2re said:

I dont think it would be too bad to get it amputated because it is only about maybe half an inch at the tip of where it ends

More than the last inch is infected . Don't know how much of the tail is necrotizing / dead and how far up the tail the infectio has spread. Should have been treated a long time before now.

A REPTILE vet needs to assess this and any amputation is going to require a general and post surgical antibiotic treatment and dressings.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post some close ups on a plain background like you did but just the tail and not wet ? I'm trying to see what the white area is and then the dark area right above it. If the infection has spread up in to there but that part is not shriveled yet, then that all needs to be cut off. Hopefully it's just discolored + dirty, can you tell ?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It looks to me like the last portion that is black/shriveled is necrotic and will most likely fall off, but the white portion is either retained shed that didn't properly come off and is cutting the circulation off to the rest of the tail, which is killing it, or is infected and most likely needs amputated and then he will also most likely need antibiotic treatment too, as infections in the tail are touch to get rid of, even if you amputate above the line of healthy tissue. You need to find an experienced Reptile Vet immediately to get him assessed and taken care of either way, because he may very well become septic if it's let go much longer.

MiChEaL

Original Poster
AHBD":1fnyo9cb said:
Can you post some close ups on a plain background like you did but just the tail and not wet ? I'm trying to see what the white area is and then the dark area right above it. If the infection has spread up in to there but that part is not shriveled yet, then that all needs to be cut off. Hopefully it's just discolored + dirty, can you tell ?

87311-9473586604.jpg

MiChEaL

Original Poster
MiChEaL":3of79tzs said:
AHBD":3of79tzs said:

87311-9473586604.jpg
87311-3401073660.jpg
87311-8950000326.jpg
87311-4556600158.jpg
87311-6568840439.jpg
87311-6030960297.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't like the looks of that. I'd have it checked on by a vet. If it is infected and spreading then having it treated and stopped sooner is better.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes that needs amputation ASAP. What's happening is that under the scales the tissue is infected and several inches are going to have to come off beyond the shriveled part. Don't wait, it will continue to spread upwards and can cause the death of your dragon if left too long. Amputaton is common enough that a good vet can get it done + you'll be home the same day.

MiChEaL

Original Poster
Update I am at the vet so I will tell you what they say but the very tip of dead tail fell completely off on its own

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good, the shriveled part always falls off. It's what's going on up beyond underneath that is of concern now. It can be infected before it shrivels so if that's the case then It's best to cut up beyond the area that fell off.

I hope everything goes smoothly !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom