severly dehydrated baby beardie, won't eat- PEASE HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a baby beardie recently who is now about 3 months old and 5-6in in length. I for the past few days my beardie hasnt eaten a single thing, has very sunken eyes and has a black beard. very lethargic, can barely move. I know it was because his basking temps were at 130 and he is very small, so today I went to the store and got ReptiBoost which he ate willingly and also switched his bulb to a 100 watt bulb. I gave him a bath with pedeolyte and now hes sitting on a stick looking upset with a black beard. I'm very worried about him. I have an appointment with the Vet on tuesday but today is sunday and every exotic animal hospital near me is closed and I have called every animal hospital near me and even a few a few hours from me to see if anyone knows someone I could see and they all kept refering me to people who couldnt help me. I'm desperate, any advice would be very much appreciated

sandybeardedd

Original Poster
sandybeardedd":711yx7ix said:
I got a baby beardie recently who is now about 3 months old and 5-6in in length. I for the past few days my beardie hasnt eaten a single thing, has very sunken eyes and has a black beard. very lethargic, can barely move. I know it was because his basking temps were at 130 and he is very small, so today I went to the store and got ReptiBoost which he ate willingly and also switched his bulb to a 100 watt bulb. I gave him a bath with pedeolyte and now hes sitting on a stick looking upset with a black beard. I'm very worried about him. I have an appointment with the Vet on tuesday but today is sunday and every exotic animal hospital near me is closed and I have called every animal hospital near me and even a few a few hours from me to see if anyone knows someone I could see and they all kept refering me to people who couldnt help me. I'm desperate, any advice would be very much appreciated
btw I had a 150 watt before thats why he was overheating

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. The black beard and sunken eyes makes this pretty critical. Hopefully you can keep him going until the vet visit. Can you post some photos of him and his setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

For now, I would focus on getting the temperature gradient correct and UVB exposure correct. I would also try to keep giving him fluids. Drip water on his nose for him to lick up several times per day. If he takes the water it's a good sign. If he refuses water then he is probably in pretty rough shape. When did the black bearding start?

sandybeardedd

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3r5t6yto said:
Poor guy. The black beard and sunken eyes makes this pretty critical. Hopefully you can keep him going until the vet visit. Can you post some photos of him and his setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

For now, I would focus on getting the temperature gradient correct and UVB exposure correct. I would also try to keep giving him fluids. Drip water on his nose for him to lick up several times per day. If he takes the water it's a good sign. If he refuses water then he is probably in pretty rough shape. When did the black bearding start?
the black bearding started yesterday, and he drank some water earlier but right now he refuses a syringe of water :( I changed his bulb and now its temping at 100 degrees exactly. how do i check UV exposure? I was told if I keep the UV bulb in the middle it will emit the right exposure

sandybeardedd

Original Poster
96957-7913965545.jpg
CooperDragon":2fi0yevm said:

96957-6329507907.jpg
96957-9689175160.jpg
these are pics of his enclosure. I took out the reptihammock for now and his beard isnt black!! is this a good sign?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His setup looks nice. Keep offering the water so he can drink when he wants to. Keep him as well hydrated as possible.

It sounds like the temperature has been corrected which is good. It's also a good sign that his beard is no longer black.

As far as UVB goes, the way to measure it is with a Solarmeter. They are expensive so aside from measuring it you can adjust the height based on test results from similar bulbs. Which bulb do you have for him? I can help you find the correct distance as it varies between bulbs quite a bit. The UVB light should sit over the basking area right next to the basking light so they are producing a combination over the basking area to simulate natural sunlight as closely as possible.

sandybeardedd

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2sofcymj said:
His setup looks nice. Keep offering the water so he can drink when he wants to. Keep him as well hydrated as possible.

It sounds like the temperature has been corrected which is good. It's also a good sign that his beard is no longer black.

As far as UVB goes, the way to measure it is with a Solarmeter. They are expensive so aside from measuring it you can adjust the height based on test results from similar bulbs. Which bulb do you have for him? I can help you find the correct distance as it varies between bulbs quite a bit. The UVB light should sit over the basking area right next to the basking light so they are producing a combination over the basking area to simulate natural sunlight as closely as possible.
96957-4355719923.jpg
nevermind hes back to looking like this and I'm worried again. He's still refusing water. and I don't actually know the brand I used for the UVB because I threw out the box when I got it but my friend Carter is very knowlagable about beardies and told me use the one I got. I'm very nervous he's going to die!! :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Based on the dome fixture you're using, it's likely a compact or coil bulb. If you read the base of the bulb it should say the brand and wattage. The 13w compacts/coils aren't powerful enough to be useful for a dragon. The 26w ones are better but vary by brand. A 26w UVB200 or UVB150 is ok in small enclosures but are most effective at 6-8''. In a larger tank the best option in my opinion is a T5 tube which when used in a fixture with a reflector is most effective at about 12''.

sandybeardedd

Original Poster
CooperDragon":29bn1yxw said:
Based on the dome fixture you're using, it's likely a compact or coil bulb. If you read the base of the bulb it should say the brand and wattage. The 13w compacts/coils aren't powerful enough to be useful for a dragon. The 26w ones are better but vary by brand. A 26w UVB200 or UVB150 is ok in small enclosures but are most effective at 6-8''. In a larger tank the best option in my opinion is a T5 tube which when used in a fixture with a reflector is most effective at about 12''.
it's a RiptiTerra UVB150 bulb, 13w and it's located about 10in from his basking spot. He's opening his mouth wide again also :( should I get a better UVB bulb? I turned off his UVB bulb for a few minutes and his beard is lighter and he stopped opening his mouth. could that be the problem also?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the 13w isn't going to be sufficient. Ideally I'd get a T5 tube like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ but in the meantime your best bet with that dome fixture is a 26w ExoTerra UVB200 which will be pretty decent at 6-8'' up. It sounds like there may be more going on in this case, but proper UVB exposure does have a direct effect on their appetite, ability to digest food properly, and their overall health.

sandybeardedd

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1wh023t3 said:
Yeah the 13w isn't going to be sufficient. Ideally I'd get a T5 tube like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ but in the meantime your best bet with that dome fixture is a 26w ExoTerra UVB200 which will be pretty decent at 6-8'' up. It sounds like there may be more going on in this case, but proper UVB exposure does have a direct effect on their appetite, ability to digest food properly, and their overall health.
I'm still nervous he's in like critical condition because no vet is able to see him today. even with his lower wattage bulb his beard is now black again and his mouth hung open. I'm really worried too because when he did that I took him out because he probably needed to cool down and for a while he was okay on my chest but then his beard started turning black and his mouth went open again. I put him back in his enclosure on a lower object so he's not directly under the bulb, and he seemed to like freeze in place for a second. He almost fell off when I placed him on his stick because of it :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His condition does sound serious but there isn't a whole lot else I can think of to do other than keeping him hydrated, warm, and comfortable. If you have sunlight coming in through a window perhaps he would like some time near that. The UVB will be blocked but the infrared (heat) and UVA will be beneficial to him. I know my guy enjoys sitting in the window and soaking up some real sunlight. If the weather was warmer I'd say bring him outside for time in the natural sunlight but that's only a viable option if it's above 70 or so outside.

sandybeardedd

Original Poster
CooperDragon":wu7zxmv4 said:
His condition does sound serious but there isn't a whole lot else I can think of to do other than keeping him hydrated, warm, and comfortable. If you have sunlight coming in through a window perhaps he would like some time near that. The UVB will be blocked but the infrared (heat) and UVA will be beneficial to him. I know my guy enjoys sitting in the window and soaking up some real sunlight. If the weather was warmer I'd say bring him outside for time in the natural sunlight but that's only a viable option if it's above 70 or so outside.
he died

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry that you lost your little guy. :( You had such a beautiful set up and it's so obvious how much you cared for him. I'm truly sorry, I know this is devastating for you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm saddened to hear this. Unfortunately I don't think there was much else you could have done to help him. It sounds like he had an underlying health issue that was just too much for him to handle. I'm glad he made it to a loving home with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom