Swelling above hip joints, is this caused by impaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keypsake

95832-2910053889.jpg
95832-7780754203.jpg
95832-9954062122.jpg
95832-7119192048.jpg
95832-5155511675.jpg
95832-5096003264.jpg
Hello, I have a very healthy 4 year old male dwarf bearded dragon. While feeding him dubias one day, I noticed his hip area appeared to be swollen and became concerned. After thinking about it, we realize he hadn’t pooped in a while so I began to think he must be impacted. I started him on a regimen of 3 mL of mineral oil and three 15 minute baths a day to encourage bowel movements. I also have been feeding him baby food applesauce and prunes, as well as 100% pumpkin purée to try and loosen things up. It got to where he would try to push poop out in the bath and you could see it start to peek out of his rear end, but he wasn’t able to push it out. We kept up the regimen until after about 5 days he finally took a big dump in his tank. Oddly, the lumps have not gone down. I’m keeping him on the same regimen for impaction in case he’s still backed up somewhere hoping that the lumps will go down or disappear. It’s now been a week and a half and the lumps are still there. I’m able to get him to poop in the bath every day which is good, but none of them are necessarily big. Are the lumps related to impaction? Or do you think there something else going on? He has had no recent injuries and is acting and walking completely normal. The lumps don’t seem to be affecting him in any way. I have a local reptile vet that I can take him to if I need to, but it’s likely going to cost me $500 and we’re currently trying to save up for the closing costs on a house we just bought. I thought I would get some advice on here to try before venturing off to the vet.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
How long have the swollen areas been visible? And when you press on them are they soft or hard? Do they seem to be painful for him?

I don't think this is at all related to the impaction or anything within the GI Tract, as #1) The joint capsules are not at all connected to the Intestinal Tract, and #2) It seems as the impaction has passed. Either way I can't think of a way that a bowel impaction would cause swelling within both hip joints. If it's soft to the touch, meaning it's fluid filling the hip joints, it could very well be an infection in the joints, which is obviously very urgent. As far as something like Arthritis, that would not just appear suddenly like this, this is an Acute issue, such as an infection or an injury, though again, to effect both hip joints an injury would have to be related to the pelvis or spine....Has he had any black beard since this popped up?

I highly recommend taking him to your reptile vet and getting a needle aspiration and an x-ray done immediately, as if it is some type of bacterial infection it could turn into sepsis very quickly. They should be able to see any acute injury on the x-ray, and a needle aspiration of the fluid will show white cells if it's an infection...

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Something I didn't think of when I wrote my first reply is the possibility of renal disease, as both the kidneys are positioned directly above the hip joints where his swelling is, on the anterior side (stomach side), but I believe in most renal diseases the kidneys can actually swell and fill the entire pelvic cavity, so this is also a possibility, and another reason he needs some imaging and probably a routine blood panel with kidney functions......

EDIT: Just to add something that just occurred to me too, constipation/impaction that is chronic is also a sign of kidney disease as well...

Keypsake

Original Poster
Thank you EllenD, I was wondering if this is a separate issue as I couldn't figure out how his bowels would have anything to do with this area either. I have 37 reptiles, 7 of which are beardies and this is my first experience with impaction so I wasn't sure what to expect. The lumps are soft to the touch and do not seem to bother him at all. He has had black beards since this happened, but he has always gotten frequent black beards so that is normal for him. Something I didn't mention in my first post is that we have found him sleeping upright on the base of his tail pressed against the glass twice lately right around the time we discovered the lumps. I know this can be a normal sleeping position at times for beardies as the other 6 of mine will sleep this way on occasion without a problem, I've just never seen this particular dragon do it. Ordinarily, he always sleeps in the same spot on his log/branch so sleeping upright on the glass is not normal for him. I guess it's possible he injured it from sleeping that way but I'm not going to make any assumptions as I am not a vet. I will make an appointment to have him seen this week and hope for the best. I will definitely post an update on this for other beardie owners to see.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those are strange swellings, I agree. I don't think sleeping in an upright position would affect
that area, really.
An impaction wouldn't cause swelling there, only on the spine if it was a bad impaction, that is.
It is most likely going to be some type of infection of the joint capsule or surrounding area. I am
not sure what could have caused it, other than just a general health issue going on.
Definitely let us know how the vet visit goes. They can aspirate some fluids to culture, to see if
its an infection, or what could be going on. If possible, a blood test would be a good idea, too.
He is a great looking boy!

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Some kind of aneurism in the arteries above / near the kidneys , on both sides ??

are there lympth glands in dragon there ?
.... these can become blocked sometimes or infected / deseased.

Definitely needs a vet to investigate.
I reckon ultrasounds , xrays ( maybe a skeletal issue from a fall ) and a small needle aspiration to culture what in there if they are full of fluid.

Will definitely be interested in hearing what the vet's diagnosis and what treatment is suggested.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keypsake":28pt6noc said:
95832-5096003264.jpg
95832-7780754203.jpg
Hello, I have a very healthy 4 year old male dwarf bearded dragon.

<<< he's not a dwarf dragon, I think you have a P.Vitticeps (Central) , as it's unlikely (unless you live in Far N-West Western Australia or perhaps the NT (Australia) that you have a Kimberley BD.
BEARDIES_CROWN_AND_HEAD_SHAPES.gif

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that when I read your first post, that is definitely not a dwarf as the other member brought out. If he's small, then he's just a small pogona vitticeps....normal bearded dragon.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, I forgot to comment on that too, there is no "Dwarf" Bearded Dragon, just the Rankins Dragon, which he is not (they have very distinct markings and body shapes). My guess is he is just a normal central dragon who had his growth stunted by bad husbandry, probably inadequate UVB/UVA light and a poor diet/supplementations. But he's beautiful!

Yes, Dragon's do have a lymph system, that's why I first mentioned an infection. I would assume that as Tracie said, if he get's blood work done it's going to show a systemic infection, impaired kidney function or disease, or both. The fact that it's a bilateral swelling like that is what points me towards kidney involvement, as the they do swell quite a bit in renal disease, and they can actually put pressure on the area and fill the area around them with fluid, and it's definitely fluid because it's soft to the touch...but it could also be an infection of the synovial fluid in and around the joint capsules. Either way he needs an x-ray/ultrasound and blood work, and a needle aspiration of the fluid to see what's in it.

Hopefully it's just an infection that can be treated with antibiotics (do have them do a culture of the fluid drawn from the area before just putting him on Baytril, lol, that's their go-to and it's not going to treat EVERY bacterial infection), or some renal disease that can be corrected with fluids and medications...I'd keep him as hydrated as you possibly can by giving fluids several times a day by mouth...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
EllenD":1crlxn5m said:
Yeah, I forgot to comment on that too, there is no "Dwarf" Bearded Dragon, just the Rankins Dragon, which he is not (they have very distinct markings and body shapes). My guess is he is just a normal central dragon who had his growth stunted by bad husbandry, probably inadequate UVB/UVA light and a poor diet/supplementations. But he's beautiful!

Yes, Dragon's do have a lymph system, that's why I first mentioned an infection. I would assume that as Tracie said, if he get's blood work done it's going to show a systemic infection, impaired kidney function or disease, or both. The fact that it's a bilateral swelling like that is what points me towards kidney involvement, as the they do swell quite a bit in renal disease, and they can actually put pressure on the area and fill the area around them with fluid, and it's definitely fluid because it's soft to the touch...but it could also be an infection of the synovial fluid in and around the joint capsules. Either way he needs an x-ray/ultrasound and blood work, and a needle aspiration of the fluid to see what's in it.

Hopefully it's just an infection that can be treated with antibiotics (do have them do a culture of the fluid drawn from the area before just putting him on Baytril, lol, that's their go-to and it's not going to treat EVERY bacterial infection), or some renal disease that can be corrected with fluids and medications...I'd keep him as hydrated as you possibly can by giving fluids several times a day by mouth..
<<<< probably safer to hydrate by giving water rich berries and the likes of deseeded water melon , less chance of his aspirating water if giving water by syringe or eyedropper (too fast and flooding his mouth)..

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I wouldn't hazard to guess about an aneurysm or other arterial involvement, I don't know enough about their vascular system or physiology to guess at that, but yet another reason to just keep him hydrated and get him to a Reptile Vet for imaging studies and blood work (an ultrasound is probably better to go with right off the bat than a plain-film x-ray, as if the x-ray shows nothing then you'll have to go to the ultrasound anyway, so why pay for the x-ray too).

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":7fabxrrg said:
reptile_anatomy.png

Looks suspiciously like an issue in the femeral arteries/veins or sciatic veins ???

Thanks for posting this diagram Knobbys, I saved it as I've not ever seen this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom