Brumation or Death for 8 year old beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardie32

I have been taking care of my son’s beardie, Lizzy, since he went off to college at the beginning of January.

She pooped twice in the last week but did not want to eat or drink much water. When I went to check on her this morning, she was laying flat, eyes open and looking dried out. I freaked and thought she was dead, but when I picked her up, she was flexible. Also her area under her neck has turned black as did part of her tail.

Then I read about brumation. So I called around to find a vet but there are not any within an hour’s drive so I went to work. I figured if she was stiff when I got back home from work then she was dead.
When I got home from work and picked her up, her belly was actually warm. But no movement at all. She was pliable so i gave her a good warm bath for 15-20 minutes. No reaction but She was still flexible.

Does this mean that she is in brumation? If she was dead then rigamortis would be in place and she would be stiff as a board, right??

Her eyes are still open but not hazy white like they were.
Do I just let her be or do I need to try to bathe her again?

Is my logic correct that she is brumating?

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Unfortunately, I think she will pass away. After reading similar threads and symptoms of brumation(my beardy has never gone into brumation), they don't entirely match with what you describe. If you can, a vet is the best option. If you can't do that, there are certain medications and foods that you can give to your beardy but, not being an expert on medication, I don't want to say the wrong thing that could lead to an accelerated deterioration of health. Maybe this may help you out or Drache613 sees this post.

http://azeah.com/exotic-pet-resources/all?shs_term_node_tid_depth=32

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are in this situation, it is never easy. :cry:
Did you try turning her over for a quick bit, then to her side to see if you got any type
of reaction? Do you see any breathing at all?
If you are not able to get any reaction from her after that or there are no signs of any
breathing, then she has likely passed on.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm very sorry, but it sounds like he has passed on. As Tracie mentioned, if you flip him on his back and get no reaction, then he's most likely dead.

Brumation is a deep sleep, like a type of hibernation, but you can easily wake them from a brumation, especially if you put them in a warm bath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom