Constipated beardie?Something more?Very Worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanv33

Original Poster
EllenD":760krdgd said:
Well he's very dehydrated and overheated, and it's quite possible that he's suffering from heat exhaustion as well, that's a ton of heat for a 10 gallon tank...Did you get the Digital Probe Thermometer? I'm sure you got the tank set up alright, the 100 watt basking bulb is probably going to work perfectly for the 40 gallon breeder tank, so when you get it set up over the Hot Side of the tank and his basking spot/platform underneath it, let it on for about an hour, then put the probe right on the basking spot, and you have to wait about 20-30 minutes to read the probe temperature, and you must wait 20-30 minutes each time before you read the temp, so that the Probe can reach the actual temperature. You can also use the Probe to measure both the Hot and Cool Side Ambient (air) temperatures, you do this by putting the suction cup that comes with the Probe Thermometer on the wire, just below the Probe. Then stick the suction cup to the glass on the front of the tank on the Hot Side, about 2" above the floor of the tank. Wait 20-30 minutes, then read the temp. Then just move the Probe to the glass on the front of the tank on the Cool Side, about 2" above the floor, wait 20-30 minutes, then read the temp. The 100 watt basking bulb should be adequate.

Keep offering him water and pedialyte on his snout several times a day, he's most likely extremely lethargic and dehydrated...

Also, don't expect a lot of energy until you get him under a proper UVB tube, as that compact UVB bulb that you have, even under the mesh lid, is not going to provide anywhere close to the UVB/UVA light that he needs...
WIll do!Yes, we got the digital probe thermometer.I will check his temperature on both sides as you suggested. We got 2 clamp lamps. we did get the UVB tube light at the petstore but it did not work.update:My sister went to the pet store and got it exchanged.I will post pictures of his set up to make sure it looks fine. Will put paper towels under.I will keep offering water and monitor and keep you updated.I cant keep saying this enough but thank you so much for the information and for helping me out so much!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, you found the T5HO Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube? That's amazing, you did good! It looks good!

What are you using as his main basking spot/platform within the Hot Side of the tank? This is what needs to put him within about 10-11" of the UVB tube, and have a Surface Temperature between 105-110 degrees on the Digital Probe Thermometer? As long as it's within the correct distance of the tube and it's the correct surface temp, it looks very, very good! Make sure both lights are on for between 13-14 hours a day, and you should see an improvement in energy level and appetite within the next couple of days, probably sooner...

FYI, if you can't get the basking spot within 10" of the UVB tube, you can use long zip ties, wire, twine, shoelaces, etc. to strap the entire tube fixture to the underside of the mesh lid to get the UVB tube within the correct distance of him. That way you're not having to buy a taller basking spot for him...

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
The only other comment I can make is to move the UVB tube fixture more towards the middle of the tank and away from the back wall of the tank, and then make sure the basking spot is underneath both the tube and the basking bulb in the Hot Side of the tank. You don't want to lose any of the UVB light into the back wall of the tank, and you want it kind of "sharing" the top of the Hot Side of the tank with the bright-white colored Basking Bulb. That's about it, it looks amazing! He'll be happy, he actually looks happier already, lol!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Uhg, also, FYI, make sure that the tube fixture the UVB tube is in has no type of clear, plastic cover on the bottom of it that's covering the UVB tube inside. I doubt it has one, but some of them do, it's supposed to be a "safety" cover, however no UVB light can penetrate any type of glass or clear plastic, it blocks 100% of it, so if it does have a clear cover on it you have to remove it.

I think I'm done now, lol...

Sanv33

Original Poster
EllenD":2n67s7nc said:
The only other comment I can make is to move the UVB tube fixture more towards the middle of the tank and away from the back wall of the tank, and then make sure the basking spot is underneath both the tube and the basking bulb in the Hot Side of the tank. You don't want to lose any of the UVB light into the back wall of the tank, and you want it kind of "sharing" the top of the Hot Side of the tank with the bright-white colored Basking Bulb. That's about it, it looks amazing! He'll be happy, he actually looks happier already, lol!
Thank you!Noted!We went to go buy zip ties and put it on the mesh and i checked that there was no clear plastic.His basking spot is the the rock with the fake leaves. he usually basks there and likes to hide behind the leaves. he likes climbing on the cool side and that is Also his sleeping spot most of the time. we are monitoring the temperature with the thermometer you recoomended. we have been giving him water which he drinks and pedialyte. At this moment we are just monitoring him.
[/url
Quick question. Should I start feeding him crickets so he doesn't starve or is there other soft food for him to eat to give him some nutrients or strength while he is in this state?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'd be offering him the crickets as usual, he just needs some good UVB light, calcium, fluids, and a couple of days, that's it. The more he eats, the more energy he'll have, etc. And the more UVB/UVA he absorbs, the more he'll eat...there's no reason here to not feed him normally, there's no sign of Gout or any other issues, he just wasn't getting adequate UVB/UVA light and his temps were too high, which dehydrated him. This should be an easy recovery, knock on wood there are no other issues going on...

How's he doing toady?

Sanv33

Original Poster
EllenD":1f1hkjnc said:
I'd be offering him the crickets as usual, he just needs some good UVB light, calcium, fluids, and a couple of days, that's it. The more he eats, the more energy he'll have, etc. And the more UVB/UVA he absorbs, the more he'll eat...there's no reason here to not feed him normally, there's no sign of Gout or any other issues, he just wasn't getting adequate UVB/UVA light and his temps were too high, which dehydrated him. This should be an easy recovery, knock on wood there are no other issues going on...

How's he doing toady?
Okie dokie!Will do!Thank you Ellen!
We woke up at 6am to turn on his lights a little earlier and he moved from his basking spot and is hiding behind his tree. We tried to feed him but doesnt want any.I will keep offering for him to eat.Will update with pictures.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
He is probably going to suffer from a bit of relocation stress now too, realize he's suddenly in a new tank that is HUGE compared to his last one, so think of this like you just brought him home again. You've now got an awesome set-up with great lighting and temps, so he just has to settle in again. Just keep offering him water on his snout several times a day, and do the same with the crickets.

Make sure that you only put 1-2 crickets in his tank at a time, too many will overwhelm small babies and they tend to freak out. Also, be sure that the crickets are smaller than the space between his eyes, as if they are larger they can not only scare him, but choke him and cause an impaction. But just put 1 in at a time, and if he doesn't eat it then take it out because crickets tend to hide and then at night they come out and bite them while they sleep. You may want to find some small BSFL/Phoenix Worms or even some small dubia roaches, or maybe some wax worms. Wax worms are only treat insects that should be given only a few per week, but in this case he may be more inclined to eat a wiggly little worm than a cricket that he has to hunt. You can also try AHBD's trick of putting 1-2 crickets in a container of calcium, shaking them up a bit so that they are stunned and dizzy, and then putting them right in front of him. They'll be moving but not be jumping away quickly, and he may gain some confidence that way.

Sanv33

Original Poster
EllenD":3e4qtwlj said:
He is probably going to suffer from a bit of relocation stress now too, realize he's suddenly in a new tank that is HUGE compared to his last one, so think of this like you just brought him home again. You've now got an awesome set-up with great lighting and temps, so he just has to settle in again. Just keep offering him water on his snout several times a day, and do the same with the crickets.

Make sure that you only put 1-2 crickets in his tank at a time, too many will overwhelm small babies and they tend to freak out. Also, be sure that the crickets are smaller than the space between his eyes, as if they are larger they can not only scare him, but choke him and cause an impaction. But just put 1 in at a time, and if he doesn't eat it then take it out because crickets tend to hide and then at night they come out and bite them while they sleep. You may want to find some small BSFL/Phoenix Worms or even some small dubia roaches, or maybe some wax worms. Wax worms are only treat insects that should be given only a few per week, but in this case he may be more inclined to eat a wiggly little worm than a cricket that he has to hunt. You can also try AHBD's trick of putting 1-2 crickets in a container of calcium, shaking them up a bit so that they are stunned and dizzy, and then putting them right in front of him. They'll be moving but not be jumping away quickly, and he may gain some confidence that way.
Thank you! He still doesn't move as much bit he is not as dark as he was days ago. We went to our local pet store and bought small crickets. I also remembered you mentioned multivitamins so I bought liquid vitamin for him. I also bought some soft moist dragon diet pellets in case he rejects the crickets so he can have some food in his tummy. I was going to buy silkworms but the ones at the store were big.

Order some Dubia Roaches off the internet. They are much better than crickets all around, no smell, no noise, and live much longer. Each feeding I place around 20 roaches in a feeding bowl. My dragon has gotten used to this and rushes to the bowl each time. No roaches escape and walk around the tank unless they climb out on the lizard and makes it much easier to remove once hes done. I hated leaving insects in his tank after each feeding.

https://www.amazon.com/Dubia-Roaches-1000-Small/dp/B008CQLWDS/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1517866360&sr=8-16&keywords=dubia+roaches

1000/$44.00 = $.04 each is much better than crickets at $.13 and half die in a week.

Sanv33

Original Poster
EddieMaher":33fndjx4 said:
Order some Dubia Roaches off the internet. They are much better than crickets all around, no smell, no noise, and live much longer. Each feeding I place around 20 roaches in a feeding bowl. My dragon has gotten used to this and rushes to the bowl each time. No roaches escape and walk around the tank unless they climb out on the lizard and makes it much easier to remove once hes done. I hated leaving insects in his tank after each feeding.

https://www.amazon.com/Dubia-Roaches-1000-Small/dp/B008CQLWDS/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1517866360&sr=8-16&keywords=dubia+roaches

1000/$44.00 = $.04 each is much better than crickets at $.13 and half die in a week.
Thank you!I will look into buying some for him!Thank you for the link.That is true. When we buy him crickets after a couple of days most of them are dead.

Sanv33

Original Poster
UPDATE: We have been giving him water and pedialyte and he has taken it.He wasnt eating his crickets so we made him a cricket smoothie with a little but of collard greens in a syringe and he ate a little bit.His vet called and we let them know what was going and and told them about him not eating so she gave us a powder food for beardies that has more protein than the crickets.we prepared it and he ate a little bit.Also we got his fecal results and he tested negative.I can't tell you guys how happy I was that he wasn't laying down with his little feet in a weird angle. Here are pics of him now

Sanv33

Original Poster
Hello everyone!it's been awhile and wanted to update y'all!Our beardie has been so much better. He is moving around more although he is a little hesitant in such a big terrarium. I want to thank you guys for the tips and for all the information!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is looking a lot better now! :D
That is wonderful. I hope he continues to improve. I'm sure he does love the new sized living
area & will soon get used to it all.
Keep us posted on him so we can see his progress.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, he looks great! That's awesome! I'm so glad he's okay. Finally now you can enjoy him and not have to just be worrying about him!

Keep us updated on how he's doing, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom