Clear signs of death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyEyron

Images of dead beardie in this post!!

So I'm 99% sure my beardie died yesterday, but rigamortis hasn't properly set in yet and it's been more than 24 hours so I just want extra confirmations on her death before I put her in the freezer D:

Yesterday about midday I found her on her back, wedged under one of her logs. It looked like she'd climbed onto a taller log at some point and slipped, then in trying to right herself had wedged herself into a small gap and gotten stuck. She's five and a half years old and always had this log setup so I think it was just a freak accident and I didn't get to her early enough in my morning checks, so she must have suffocated because she couldn't breathe on her back.

I just wanted to post these photos to check that this is what a dead beardie should look like, because she's my first dead beardie and is much floppier than rodents I've had die in the past :S

This is from when I found her yesterday (I opened her jaw to check her airways and then I think on reflex or gas release or something it opened further while I was taking the photo):
75298-5628301101.jpg
75298-3645926574.jpg

Then I left her in the cool end of her vivarium while I was out all day today, and came back to see if rigamortis had set in and this is what she's like (still pretty floppy, very soft stomach):
75298-203327537.jpg
75298-2831352274.jpg
75298-4777938798.jpg
75298-8509222823.jpg
75298-6299645477.jpg
75298-9116538637.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm just being overly paranoid, but better to be cautious than freeze her to death!

Also I am very upset and had a long cry last night, but right now I just need to deal with the situation and get facts rather than dwell on missing her.

Any advice on what to do with her body would be appreciated too, I thought I'd have a few more years to think about this. I have nowhere to bury her so do I get her cremated, taxidermy etc. ?
Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, first of all I'm so sorry this happened. She may have had a seizure of some kind because beardies fall all the time + then they just right themselves. I'm quite sure she's dead, but try this one more time. Put her on her back, then on her side while you hold her + see if she does anything at all. If not, she is gone.

Some people do cremate their dragons. I've always been able to bury mine in the back yard. But again, I'm so sorry that you lost you girl so suddenly in a freak accident. All my sympathy to you at this sad time. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry, how terrible. :cry:
It sounds like she is gone, but definitely make sure. I am sorry you had to go through this,
my sincere condolences.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
So sorry for your loss, I recently last my 5 year old girl Rex very unexpectedly and suddenly and I know you are shattered and very sad and will miss her greatly.

They do go stiff , rigor mortis , and later become limp.
I have a policy that means I keep the dead pet lizard in it's tank and warm for 24 - 48 hr until it's extremely obviously dead ( blood pooling , starts to smell and fluids start coming from mouth / nose , vent ). There is no rush to do anything to her if she's indeed passed away.

ANY vet can easily check for signs life ie pupil response to bright light, dopler ultrasound to check for blood flow even if no decernable heart beat or ultra shallow breathing. More than likely the vet check will be free if they find she's passed away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom