Advice for increasing chances of survival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Damn it, I'm so sorry, I was really hoping he would pull through this. You definitely did everything you could do, and this is no one's fault but that vet's. A perfectly healthy, happy dragon was poisoned by a veterinarian for no reason, and you absolutely need to let that vet know how much research you've done about Ivermectin in ANY and ALL reptiles, and let her know how upset you are that she wasn't educated about the medication she gave him. If nothing else you can prevent her from not killing anyone else's reptile...I'm just so sorry, this is so unnecessary and just irresponsible and wrong. And it's one of many, and this needs to stop...

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
I am SO sorry you & Jub Jub had to go through all that. That vet needs it to brought to their attention that this was unacceptable negligence so that hopefully they will think twice before just spouting out whatever meds without research, harming other animals. If this was a human situation, they would be getting slapped with at least a medical malpractice suit of not more.

You really did everything you could for him, more than many others would have done. If he could understand, I'm sure he would've appreciated your efforts on his behalf.

Lambtor

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I just got back from taking him to the vet. She's going to do a necropsy on him; I'll possibly go through with a viral culture if it's not going to cost me an outrageous amount of money. They're also going to cremate him and give me back his ashes in a little box, so it will be nice to have something to remember him by.

I'll let you all know what I hear back.

Lambtor

Original Poster
Heard back from the vet. He died of kidney/liver failure, though cause of that is unknown. The additional tests were going to run me another $300, so I opted to not go ahead. As much as I would like to know for sure what the cause was, I already spent quite a bit in pursuit of trying to save him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The kidney + liver failure was from the medication. It's been that all along. There's no need for testing, the meds. killed him, so sad.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry, I agree it was the meds that caused the kidney failure. I feel horrible for you. :cry:
We all are here for you.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm sorry, but it was the Ivermectin that caused the kidney failure, that has been the issue since he got sick. There are many journal articles online about how lethal Ivermectin is to reptiles if you just Google "Ivermectin in reptiles". The vet was responsible, as he was perfectly fine prior to her giving him the Ivermectin (and the other meds made it much worse). You know the answer...

Again, I'm so sorry this happened to you and to him.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
I think everyone is in agreement that it was the Ivermectin. After reading this, I did Google it & I can't believe it was actually prescribed to him.

I agree there's no need in throwing money away on the tests, unless you were planning to seek reimbursements for malpractice. I'm not even sure you can do that? But you know the answers and grieving is hard enough without fighting.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Perhaps leave a review on their website to ward off others from using them. I just really don't know what I could say to comfort you other than I'm sorry you had to go through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom