Beardie rug burn? Also twisted toe! Suggestions?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaylorAnn

85726-5388024617.jpg
85726-1697315951.jpg
Hello everyone! Hope I can get some help and/or suggestions. So my little one is going through shed and she has been romping around her tank like mad trying to get it off! We have hardened excavator clay as substrate as well as a drift wood basking log and a small half log. Well part of her romp around the tank she'll stop and scratch at the glass. Not glass surfing, just scratching. Yesterday, I was checking her shed and picking out some little bits off the ground when I noticed, what I thought was toe shed sticking up, was her toe twisted and it (what I thought was shed) was a bit of hardened flesh. Now, sometimes she'll go up on her log, jump down and go back up it again a little later. I don't know if maybe her nail got caught in one of the slits in her log and it twisted her toe around when she jumped off or what. When I checked the foot with the mangled toe, I noticed that near the heal of her foot was a red tender spot. I checked her other feet and on the other back foot there was another red tender spot as well as one on her paw that she scratches the glass with. I don't know if she's been scratching the glass too much and rubbed her feet raw or if while she was scraping herself on everything she was pushing her feet too hard on the ground. I know it isn't the temperature of her basking log, its not really even that warm to the touch. For the moment I've lined her tank with towels until I have the time to clean out the excavator clay. I've started her on betadine baths and have rubbed neosporin on the tender spots. My boyfriend and I tried to take her to a vet but, the one clinic was just closing and the Medpet "emergency" clinic only does dogs and cats e_e. They told us to go to a different clinic that does reptiles but when we called they said the vet that does exotic pets won't be in until Tuesday. It has just been one thing after another. I'm going to try to attach images I'm sorry the toe image isn't super clear, these are post bath pics and I already annoyed her enough. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
85726-3091789573.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks a bit raw but it sounds like you have it under control. They do get their fingers and toes twisted up sometimes, especially when they are hyperactive during sheds. Keeping it clean and putting the plain neosporin on it should help prevent infection. Try to immobilize it as much as you can but I realize that's asking a lot if she is running all over the place. Putting down a soft substrate as you did is also a good idea. I saw raw areas on my dragons foot from tile substrate at one point too and put down small fleece blankets to offer some relief. That seemed to work out really well and they became permanent. If the toe doesn't become infected, it should heal up and not cause much of a problem going forward. Be on the lookout for damaged or shriveled tissue that appears to be spreading or moving up her foot which may indicate infection. At that point a vet visit is pretty important.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, that looks like it hurts!
As suggested, try using neosporin that should help out. You could also try a raw, unpasteurized
honey or manuka honey for infection. I hope that the entire hand doesn't get infected.
Putting the soft fleece blankies down are great & should help for comfort.
I hope she gets to feeling better.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom