worm in poop

Status
Not open for further replies.
my bearded dragon pooped yesterday and i noticed a few unusual things and i need advice. first off it was green, this may be due to me switching food to these "natural" pellets which are green throughout, but im not sure. also it smelled extremely bad. it was way worse than normal. on the white part though was the most alarming thing. there was what looked to be a three or four inch earthworm. it was not pink like an earthworm, but grey. i was not 100% sure if it was a worm or not because it was in the poop and fully visible to me so i am just hoping this is normal. i have never seen this before so i am just needing some help. thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, I wish you had a picture of that! I hope it wasn't a worm that long, but since you mentioned
it was with the urate portion, could it have just been stringy from the urate? Sometimes they do
have odd looking urates that are stringy.
A worm would likely be in with the brown/feces portion.
How is his appetite?
What brand of pellets are you giving him? Some of them are not real good.
Does he eat greens/veggies also?

Tracie

j17pedrobarca

Original Poster
Drache613":1npxjtu4 said:
Hello,

Hm, I wish you had a picture of that! I hope it wasn't a worm that long, but since you mentioned
it was with the urate portion, could it have just been stringy from the urate? Sometimes they do
have odd looking urates that are stringy.
A worm would likely be in with the brown/feces portion.
How is his appetite?
What brand of pellets are you giving him? Some of them are not real good.
Does he eat greens/veggies also?

Tracie
Thank you for the response
i am giving him Zoo Med Natural Adult Bearded Dragon Food. I have always heard shady things about Zoo Med and how some of their UV lights caused harm, so you never know what they will do to save some money. they are these small cylindrical green pellets. you can see exactly what they are here:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Laboratories-Soft-Moist-10-Ounce/dp/B001CCZ3RU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1516384900&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=zoomed+natural+adult+bearded+dragon+food

i used to give them the red pellets which are always in plenty of stock at Petsmart. he was not eating too much until this past week, in which he has started to eat a lot more. i do give greens occasionally and i always add like 3-4 freeze-dried crickets. currently he is sprinting back and forth across my floor so i hope if it was a parasite that it is not affecting him anymore. thanks

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I don't think it was a worm, as Tracie said if it was in the urate it was probably just something that looked like a "string"...are you sure that he is a male? If so, it could have been a sperm plug that came out during his bowel movement, they are long and stringy looking.

I have to recommend that you switch up his diet ASAP, as first of all, they shouldn't ever, ever be fed any "freeze-dried" insects at all. They have no nutritional value at all, and they contain 0 moisture, and dragons need live insects to not only get the nutrition they need, but also they get most of their hydration from their fresh greens/veggies and from their live insects. Also, they do tend to have a lot of impactions and bowel movement problems when they eat freeze-dried insects, because it's essentially like feeding him really hard cardboard, and this is probably part of the reason his bowel movements are weird. They often cause really bad bowel impactions and obstructions as well. There's just nothing good about them at all.

If he's an adult it's best to feed him a nice big, always fresh salad of healthy greens and veggies every day, along with a few healthy, gut-loaded (with the same fresh greens/veggies), live staple insects, such as crickets, roaches, Phoenix worms/BSFL, or Silkworms. The pellets are unfortunately not at all a replacement for live, gut-loaded insects or fresh greens and veggies, and most of them won't eat enough of them for it to make a difference. And the ZooMed pellets are not a good choice, nor are any of the Flukers pellets, most of which contain freeze-dried insects. Do not pick a pellet, if you're going to offer him pellets, that contains any dead insects in it. The 2 healthiest pellet choices are the RepCal mult-colored, juvenile pellets and the Mazuri natural pellets that come in a bag, but again, I don't recommend them as a replacement for live, gut-loaded insects.

j17pedrobarca

Original Poster
EllenD":15zmxrl8 said:
I don't think it was a worm, as Tracie said if it was in the urate it was probably just something that looked like a "string"...are you sure that he is a male? If so, it could have been a sperm plug that came out during his bowel movement, they are long and stringy looking.

I have to recommend that you switch up his diet ASAP, as first of all, they shouldn't ever, ever be fed any "freeze-dried" insects at all. They have no nutritional value at all, and they contain 0 moisture, and dragons need live insects to not only get the nutrition they need, but also they get most of their hydration from their fresh greens/veggies and from their live insects. Also, they do tend to have a lot of impactions and bowel movement problems when they eat freeze-dried insects, because it's essentially like feeding him really hard cardboard, and this is probably part of the reason his bowel movements are weird. They often cause really bad bowel impactions and obstructions as well. There's just nothing good about them at all.

If he's an adult it's best to feed him a nice big, always fresh salad of healthy greens and veggies every day, along with a few healthy, gut-loaded (with the same fresh greens/veggies), live staple insects, such as crickets, roaches, Phoenix worms/BSFL, or Silkworms. The pellets are unfortunately not at all a replacement for live, gut-loaded insects or fresh greens and veggies, and most of them won't eat enough of them for it to make a difference. And the ZooMed pellets are not a good choice, nor are any of the Flukers pellets, most of which contain freeze-dried insects. Do not pick a pellet, if you're going to offer him pellets, that contains any dead insects in it. The 2 healthiest pellet choices are the RepCal mult-colored, juvenile pellets and the Mazuri natural pellets that come in a bag, but again, I don't recommend them as a replacement for live, gut-loaded insects.
i used togive them live insects, but as they aged their interest for live insects has really started to become less. i will definitely give live insects as well as those brands you mentioned a try . thanks for the help as i could never really find any actual unbiased food reviews online.

Egh, yea I know the bugs. I hate crickets, try dubia roaches.
What I used to do when I fed crickets is cut there hind jumping legs off and there wings so they can't cherp. You can put them in the freezer for a few to stun them, when they warm back up there moving again.

Cruel I know, but come on crickets are annoying and smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom