Yellow Goo in poop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klub708

My bearded dragon fat Amy has been actibg very weird lately and on another thread they said they thought she was gravid. She has never been with a male so they are infertile. She used to poop twice a week and now she is pooping twice a dya. In her poop today I noticed a weird yellow mass that was very squishy and had the consistency of thick snot. I am very concerned. Could this be an egg yolk or something that cracked inside her??? What is going on?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I was commenting on your other post as well (BTW, just to clarify, they don't need a male to be gravid, only to be pregnant; their ovulation process/cycle is actually quite similar to a woman's, just like when a woman gets her period, except we shed our eggs out and they aren't shelled, they have to lay theirs and they're shelled, other than that it's basically the same process)...

You didn't happen to take a photo of this poop did you? It's not an "egg yolk", as if an egg ruptures inside them it is usually fatal (they develop peritonitis) and she'd be black-bearding and very, gravely ill right now.

What is her regular daily diet? As far as the frequency of her poops, it's not unusual at all for them to change how often they go, some dragons go every single day like clockwork, some every other day, some only once a week, some once every 10 days to 2 weeks. I don't get alarmed unless 10 days goes by without a poop, then there may be a slight impaction, but otherwise it's completely normal.

So if she's going more often and it's runnier, this is actually another sign that she may be gravid, so it really does sound like she's going to lay at least one clutch of eggs (they usually don't just lay one clutch by the way, usually they lay multiple clutches when gravid, which is why I told you on the other post to make sure that she is getting plenty of food, water, calcium, and multivitamins). They need to keep their weight up, stay very hydrated, and be replacing the calcium that their body is using to make the egg shells.

I'm going to assume that she's going more often because she is in fact gravid. As far as the "thick, yellow-colored snot-like stuff" in her bowel movement, that's why I asked what her diet is, but I'm guessing that it's just the typical runny poops that both reptiles and birds have when they are gravid.

Klub708

Original Poster
EllenD":23d7xbay said:
I was commenting on your other post as well (BTW, just to clarify, they don't need a male to be gravid, only to be pregnant; their ovulation process/cycle is actually quite similar to a woman's, just like when a woman gets her period, except we shed our eggs out and they aren't shelled, they have to lay theirs and they're shelled, other than that it's basically the same process)...

You didn't happen to take a photo of this poop did you? It's not an "egg yolk", as if an egg ruptures inside them it is usually fatal (they develop peritonitis) and she'd be black-bearding and very, gravely ill right now.

What is her regular daily diet? As far as the frequency of her poops, it's not unusual at all for them to change how often they go, some dragons go every single day like clockwork, some every other day, some only once a week, some once every 10 days to 2 weeks. I don't get alarmed unless 10 days goes by without a poop, then there may be a slight impaction, but otherwise it's completely normal.

So if she's going more often and it's runnier, this is actually another sign that she may be gravid, so it really does sound like she's going to lay at least one clutch of eggs (they usually don't just lay one clutch by the way, usually they lay multiple clutches when gravid, which is why I told you on the other post to make sure that she is getting plenty of food, water, calcium, and multivitamins). They need to keep their weight up, stay very hydrated, and be replacing the calcium that their body is using to make the egg shells.

I'm going to assume that she's going more often because she is in fact gravid. As far as the "thick, yellow-colored snot-like stuff" in her bowel movement, that's why I asked what her diet is, but I'm guessing that it's just the typical runny poops that both reptiles and birds have when they are gravid.

I will try to attach a picture. Her diet is a few dozen crix a week dusted with Repashy Calcium and I feed her dandelion greens and collard greens with some spinach kale and then I vary the fruits and veggies alot. The only weird thing she has eaten recently is some carrots. I have made a laybox and also have a heat lamp on it to warm up the sand. So far she shoes no interest at all and will jump out of it within 30 seconds. I have upping her dosage for liquid calcium to prevent MBD as well.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
That's good, the liquid calcium is a good idea, make sure that her UVB tube is mounted properly so that she gets strong UVB and UVA light every day so she can absorb and use the extra calcium. The Repashy Calcium Plus is a great multivitamin/calcium supplement, all of the vitamins come from natural sources, so it's a very healthy, natural vitamin supplement that is easy for them to absorb and process. So that's good.

It does take them time to lay eggs, it definitely can be frustrating and take patience. Think of it this way, their hormones spike and they develop follicles, and that's when their behavior starts to get crazy, like the glass-surfing and such. That's where she's at right now. This is comparable to PMS in women prior to them actually getting their period. That's a good way of looking at it in order to understand it. So there is a time period between the PMS and the actual development of the eggs and then laying them. The only thing you can do is to keep putting her in the lay box whenever she starts acting frantic and glass-surfing, and eventually she will actually use it. My guess is that she either hasn't developed any eggs just yet, or if she has they just aren't fully developed or ready to be laid. But she certainly is exhibiting all the signs of being gravid, from the glass-surfing and frantic behavior inside her tank to the big, messy poops...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom